California Connoisseur Rioja Tinto (30 bottle) Review

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barfly99

Reaction score
This was my second go at a California Connoisseur wine kit after the success of the Sauvignon Blanc. I ordered the kit form an online store as my local place had sold out. When the kit arrived the blister of liquid fining agent had leaked slightly and soaked all the other sachets. Thankfully only a small amount had escaped, and as it turned out the other foil packets were waterproof. I've read somewhere of this happening before with these kits so they could do with a more durable finings packet. It had an initial SG of 1.090 which was the same as the Blanc. Followed all the instructions to the letter and after 28 days I filtered it and ended up with around 28 bottles of Rioja. The final SG was 0.992 which again was the same as my first kit. This means it finished up at around 13%.

I know tasting wine just after you made it is probably doing it an injustice, but I have to say it's looking very good. It's very smooth and has a good, full bodied flavour. Let the father-in-law taste it and he was amazed it was a kit. He drinks a lot of reds and said it's like a Rioja Alta as it has more fruit flavours than pepper and spice. So a big thumbs up for this kit and I'll report back after a few months as to how it's aged.

This was my second go at a California Connoisseur wine kit after the success of the Sauvignon Blanc. I ordered the kit form an online store as my local place had sold out. When the kit arrived the blister of liquid fining agent had leaked slightly and soaked all the other sachets. Thankfully only a small amount had escaped, and as it turned out the other foil packets were waterproof. I've read somewhere of this happening before with these kits so they could do with a more durable finings packet. It had an initial SG of 1.090 which was the same as the Blanc. Followed all the instructions to the letter and after 28 days I filtered it and ended up with around 28 bottles of Rioja. The final SG was 0.992 which again was the same as my first kit. This means it finished up at around 13%.

I know tasting wine just after you made it is probably doing it an injustice, but I have to say it's looking very good. It's very smooth and has a good, full bodied flavour. Let the father-in-law taste it and he was amazed it was a kit. He drinks a lot of reds and said it's like a Rioja Alta as it has more fruit flavours than pepper and spice. So a big thumbs up for this kit and I'll report back after a few months as to how it's aged.
Well? Any left?

I've done this kit and really liked it. There was an improvement for ageing from three to 6 month and there was some oak/tannin coming through but not quite enough. There will be an oak addition the next time I make it as to me that's what makes Rioja, Rioja.

I agree have done the beaverdale version and next time ill brew short and add more oak.

I cant knock it for the money better than a lot of supermarket stuff as is . Saving up to do a Amarone high end one.

The Beaverdale version was one of my stock wines.

Sadly, I can't see any rioja in the new on the house or vineco ranges.

It's a shame, was pretty good.

Much difference between the different Beaverdale varieties? I’m stuck between Rioja and Shatenough

Eh?

Before I answer the question, I'd like to understand the statement following.

Or is that a predictive text funny?

Sorry just a phonetic attempt at french.

curious if there is much difference in the varieties it will help me choose

OK.

Yes, they are all very different and largely as described.

The more distinctive, eg Barolo, Rioja are particularly distinguishable.

I expect the new kits will be similarly distinctive.

Latest posts

Back