Calling all IT experts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have an issue with my netgear wireless adapter.

It started after I had to disable and then enable my usb controllers.

After doing this the adapter hasn't worked. When I plug it in the lights flash as if it's looking for a network but then goes blank.

The computer is recognising the adapter and days it's fully working and drivers are up to date.

But if I go into change adapter settings it's showing as disabled. When I click on enable, a popup saying enabling is taking place appears then goes. Afterwards it's still showing as disabled.

I have tried a few things off Google but no joy. Any ideas before I buy a new one?

I'm no expert but I'll start with a few questions.

What OS are you on? Windows 7,10 etc
When did you last download some updates?
What is the model number of the net gear adapter?

I'm no expert but I'll start with a few questions.

What OS are you on? Windows 7,10 etc
When did you last download some updates?
What is the model number of the net gear adapter?
Windows 7
Last update was about Xmas time. I noticed there were two updates available yesterday, one of them was for my graphics card.
Its a netgear wnda3000v2

Any screen shots or specific error messages presented to you?
There wasn't any particular error message. I plug the adapter in, it lights up as it should but then goes out. Windows says it's all working etc under device manager but under change adapter settings it showing disabled and won't enable

Bring up start menu
Type "run" <enter>
Type "eventvwr" <enter>

The Windows event viewer will appear.

Expand "windows logs". Errors from device drivers will be under the System section but also check the Application section. Look for anything suspicious at boot time and also at the moment you click enable.

Have you gone into device manager, right clicking on the wifi adapter and uninstall. do NOT check delete driver just uninstall it.. restart pc or scan to detected it should re find the adapter see if that makes any difference.. I have done this s few times on wifi adapters which play up

Have you gone into device manager, right clicking on the wifi adapter and uninstall. do NOT check delete driver just uninstall it.. restart pc or scan to detected it should re find the adapter see if that makes any difference.. I have done this s few times on wifi adapters which play up

Done this but no joy

Bring up start menu
Type "run" <enter>
Type "eventvwr" <enter>

Expand "windows logs". Errors from device drivers will be under the System section but also check the Application section. Look for anything suspicious at boot time and also at the moment you click enable.

Thanks will check later.

Asked the wife to pick up another just incase but I would like to see if I can get this working. It was working one minute and not the next

If you havn't already, then i'd be tempted to download the drivers from here
Follow CovRich's advice, but choose to uninstall the drivers as well.
Reboot, and then run the install file above.

Or.

From the run box type 'rstrui.exe', this should launch system restore.
Choose a restore point from when you knew it last worked. (There will be a check box to show more restore points.)
System restore could take half an hour, so be patient.

Or.

Choose a restore point from when you knew it last worked. (There will be a check box to show more restore points.)
Thanks

Dome system restore but didn't work.

Will see if I can get the drivers downloaded onto my work laptop and transfer across.

Or.

Restrictions on work laptop prevent me downloading the driver

If System restore didn't work, and you rolled back to a point where you know for certain that it worked, then you can rule out a software update being the cause of the problem.
I'd suggest at this point that the card could be faulty.
Trying it in another computer would be my next step.

Is your Netgear wiFi adapter one of the plug in USB ones?

I had an issue with mine refusing to work on my PC a few years back. I had to disable the inbuilt PCI network adapter in device manager in order for the USB one to work. Not sure why this happened, but there was some sort of conflict between the two. Not sure if your PC/laptop has another network card, but if it does it may be worthwhile trying to disable it.

Tried all of the above but no joy.

Plugged new adapter in. All drivers downloaded off disk. Shows enabled but it won't pick up any network.

Run diagnostic and it says th3te might be a problem with the driver for wir3less network c9nnrction 5 adapter.

Bring up start menu
Type "run" <enter>
Type "eventvwr" <enter>

Just seen a warning log that says

Wlan autoconfig service has successfully stopped.

Could this be it

Control Panel > Network & Sharing Centre > Change Adapter Settings

Right click and disable everything which is not your new adapter. If you're not sure what's what - I think if you pull it out the USB port it will disappear off the screen, then you'll know.

Hi @Leon103
Found this online:

Once enabled, WLAN AutoConfig service dynamically selects the wireless network to which the computer will automatically connect, and configures the necessary settings on the wireless network adapter. This includes automatically selecting and connecting to a more preferred wireless network when one becomes available.

I've just started using an external wireless adapter on my laptop in order to get better reception in a weak signal area. When I started using it I didn't have any success until I disabled the laptop's built-in adapter.
Try the advice from @Ghillie

Latest posts

Back