Calling all IT experts

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Control Panel > Network & Sharing Centre > Change Adapter Settings

Right click and disable everything which is not your new adapter. If you're not sure what's what - I think if you pull it out the USB port it will disappear off the screen, then you'll know.

Done. Only left with my adapter but still no Wi-Fi connections to select
I

You mentioned it started happening after a change to USB configuration. Since this is a laptop Windows might be putting the USB hub into sleep mode. Try this Netgear fix to stop the port being put into sleep mode. If it doesn't work after a reboot then put the option back as it was - it'll save battery power.

You mentioned it started happening after a change to USB configuration. Since this is a laptop Windows might be putting the USB hub into sleep mode. Try this Netgear fix to stop the port being put into sleep mode. If it doesn't work after a reboot then put the option back as it was - it'll save battery power.

It's a pc. But I have tried that and it didn't work.

I have connected and Ethernet and running a windows update. Fingers crossed.

I have connected and Ethernet
Might be something as daft as deleting and uninstalling all drivers/software concerned with your USB dongle.

Then with the ethernet cable connected, plug it in and let windows install all necessary files for you.

Hope you get a resolve Leon, I know just how annoying ***** like this can be...

I give up. Tried bloody everything. The only thing left is a system back and and return to factory settings. Never done that before so a bit sceptical. Will it just wipe my c drive or all internal hard drives?

Back in Device Manager if you double-click on the device under "Network adapters" is there anything interesting in the little "Events -> Information" window? It will show more if you click "View All Events...".

Might be something as daft as deleting and uninstalling all drivers/software concerned with your USB dongle.

Then with the ethernet cable connected, plug it in and let windows install all necessary files for you.

Hope you get a resolve Leon, I know just how annoying ***** like this can be...

Walking away for an hour then trying this again

Worth checking it's not something simple like a firewall update. Just to make sure I'd turn off any defense software that might be running and then try and connect.

I have an issue with my netgear wireless adapter.

It started after I had to disable and then enable my usb controllers.

After doing this the adapter hasn't worked. When I plug it in the lights flash as if it's looking for a network but then goes blank.

The computer is recognising the adapter and days it's fully working and drivers are up to date.

But if I go into change adapter settings it's showing as disabled. When I click on enable, a popup saying enabling is taking place appears then goes. Afterwards it's still showing as disabled.

I have tried a few things off Google but no joy. Any ideas before I buy a new one?

do you have an administrator login for your computer? - can you run as administrator when calling up the network settings?

At last. I realised that I hadn't updated my firewall. Updated and I have the new adapter working.
Thanks everyone. How I missed I had a different firewall installed I don't know

The only thing left to fix is the malfunctioning usb when I plug in my cycling computer. That could be the lead so need to source a new one before I resort to buying a new cycling computer

Latest posts

Back