Calling those fermenting under pressure!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@krispn
Is 18c a warm ferment for kaiser or its normal range? I find that I can ferment warmer under pressure without the non pressure ferment too warm side effects.

Sorry I should have added in the previous post... Kaiser is rated up to 18c so I started there for a day or two then went up to 24c/25c for the rest of the fermentation. I’ve edited the earlier post. Thanks for spotting this.

@RoomWithABrew
From what I can gather in and about 25c with about 10-12psi is what a lot of the you tube guys are doing and getting consistent results. It’s what I’ve found to be effective too. I’ve done a few small 10l batch runs and I feel confident going ahead with the pressure fermentation for my brews and recipes. I have brewed a couple of Belgian style beers recently but kept those more traditional as I wanted the yeast character to do its thing and thought the pressure fermentation might not be the best way for this to be expressed. Unfortunately the Westmalle quad clone will need about 9-12 months in the bottle to really come into its own so it’s all been bottled and stashed until at least December when I might bust out a tester bottle.
Have you tried any pressure fermentation yet yourself and what have been your findings with this process?

@krispn
Thanks, I have pretty much pressure fermented from starting back with all grain in Oct 2018 so 25 plus beers and a couple of ciders and some elderflower fizz. If the yeast is meant to be expressive then I leave it with the PRV open to start with. If the krausen gets too high then I close it down and let a few psi of pressure build up on the spunding valve.
Have done warm " lagers" under pressure as well using normal yeast and the temp bumped up. I now tend to use Opshaug kveik if the beer needs a clean ferment recommending us 05 or WLP001 type thing. In those cases I just start transfer to the fermenter at 40 c and usually pitch and hold about 35 celsius start those with about 10 psi and then up the pressure once krausen falls so vols of CO2 are right for the temp. At 30 celsius need about 35 psi for 2.3 vols, it means the beer is fully carbed by the time cold crash done and no CO 2 added.
https://drhansbrewery.com/beercarbonationcalculator/
He is a good source for pressure ferment info along with David Heath.

Also flush and purge the kegs with the ferment gas or counter pressure fill bottles with the spare in the fermenter.
Have made an asahi clone, pilsners and stouts all very clean with this method.
Recent NEIPA started off open until krausen fell ( about 30 hours ) then upped the pressure slowly and got lots of added fruitiness from the yeast this way.
Have done a wheat beer as well but accidentally had it sealed up so was well over 35 psi on day 4 when I discovered. The pressure does not stop the yeast working just it's method of expression.

I've got more confident about more pressure as time has passed and using kveik more has made me fear higher temps less.

I think you can add at least a couple of celsius to any recommended ferment temp if you are going to be under pressure. Currently fermenting a dry irish stout to go on Nitro eventually so having diacetyl rest at 20.5 using Wyeast 1098 whitbread ale yeast at 10.5 psi for 1.4 vols final. Further brew is Trve Hellion clone which is a US ale fermented with kveik was at 35 celsius but now fallen to 21 celsius and clearing about to be moved outside to chill and condition more with a pressure of 25 psi.
Picture of my daisy chain keg flush and purge also hop bags on magnets prior to being slid into the recent NEIPA, last picture is the stout after 12 hours with a few psi on my least favourite spunding valve .
IMG_20210513_000730.jpgIMG_20201108_170441.jpgIMG_20210509_090552.jpg

Last edited:
Agreed. I brew a lot of NEIPAs and I don't bother with pressure fermenting. Closed transfer to keg is all you need to avoid oxidation. If I want to ferment quickly I just use Kveik.
What is the turnaround time for kveik? I use us-05 ATM and it normally gets the job done in four or five days. I find most of my beers are good to drink in 8 to 10 days.

What is the turnaround time for kveik? I use us-05 ATM and it normally gets the job done in four or five days. I find most of my beers are good to drink in 8 to 10 days.

I've had batches using Kveik go from grain to glass inside a week.

I've had batches using Kveik go from grain to glass inside a week.
Pretty quick. 04 and 05 do the same and my beers could be done within a week if I didn't dry hop most of my brews. Still, 8 to 10 days is more than acceptable IMO. Might try some kveik though and harvest the cake.

I wouldn't use the cake harvest from Kveik. I just dried it out on greaseproof paper in the oven and then keep those crisps of yeast in a sealed container in the freezer. Kveik likes an underpitch so I put in about 5cm x 5cm of crisp and away it goes.
I find that most of the big action is done within 48 hours and then a bit more over the next few days. If fermenting under pressure you could be drinking in a week or perhaps less. If I was in hurry 5 days hot and then cold crash and start from the fermentasaurus. Kveik does clear fast.

Latest posts

Back