Camden tabs and hedgerow wines

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PenhowBrewer

Reaction score
Quick question....
I’m about to start off a blackberry wine next week having a amassed quite a few in the freezer now (And we have an Asda delivery next week so need some freezer space!)
I’m not sure how many I have yet, but it’s going to make more than one gallon. So, when you add Camden tablets to the pulp, is it ONE tablet per gallon ratio,or just one tablet for the whole lot, irrespective how how much pulp you have?

And on a more philosophical note, if my blackberries have been at -20C for a month or so, will there be any bugs surviving anyway? I’m not going to take the risk, but it’s an interesting point, isn’t it?

The standard recipe I've been using for around 40 years is - 3-4Lb of fruit per gallon, pour on boiling water, let it stand for a week (by which time it's fizzing away anyway) then strain, add sugar and a wine yeast. that's it. Had some jolly fine wines using this method. Favourites have been Sloe, Raspberry, and Elderberry.

Back