Camden Town Brewery Pale Ale cloning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SpamNMash

Reaction score
A beer I really like is the Camden Town Brewery's Pale Ale. It's pretty damn hoppy with distinct fruit flavours, but nice and crisp. Anybody know it?

Naturally, then, I'd like to have a go at brewing something similar. It seems there was was a thread about this last year but it never got anywhere because of lack of knowledge of the ingredients. But now they're up on the brewery website, hurray!

"Camden Pale Ale
Style: American-style Pale Ale
ABV: 4.0%
IBU: 40
Malt: Pale Ale, Cara, Munich and Wheat
Hops: Cascade, Columbus, Amarillo, Centennial, Simcoe, Calypso and Citra (BOOM!)
Available: 30 litre kegs and 330ml bottles

The story: Inspired by outrageously hop-heavy American craft brews, we wanted to brew one of our own, only at a lower, massively-drinkable ABV. It’s our UK spin on an American classic.

The taste: Punchy American hops throw out a big aroma of grapefruit, orange and tropical fruit. It’s a bright orange-gold colour. The body is subtle and clean and a golden platter for carrying the hops. The bitterness rolls in and then ends dry, making you thirsty for another gulp."

I'm new to brewing, so I have no idea how I might turn this into a recipe. Any ideas? I'm not actually fussed about making an exact replica, just something similar i.e. a very hoppy, crisp pale ale.

Cheers!

sounds great, with the scarcity of Centennial, Amarillo and Citra you'll have to wait for this years harvest to arrive.

Yeah, it's a good brew. I remember putting something up about it March last year, but not much interest then. How quick things change.

For an easy solution to your recipe I'd follow a brew dog clone, or similar, in terms of your times and hops. Most people will recommend a load of dry hopping to give you a hoppy whiff, but to my mind Camden's is more refined than the brew dog with less fragrance and obviously on the lighter side.

Out here in Japan it's almost all Cascade, and to be honest I'm starting to get a bit tired of the heavy hopped beers, so most of my brews have been a little easy on the hops lately. I did promise I'd do a 'punk IPA' clone for my Dad and brother when I'm back in the UK next month, I'll be trying to get it closer to Camden's, so I'll post up the recipe then.

Keep us posted with how you get on.

Latest posts

Back