Campden tablet before bottling?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavieC

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi all,I'm new to homebrewing and am currently brewing some cider(10 ltrs) using juice from apples from my tree in our garden.I am trying to avoid using a Campden tablet if possible.Cider has fermented in primary using cider yeast from local brew shop,yeast nutrient and pectolase.I racked into secondary demijohns and now clearing nicely.If I bottle prime when bottling will the carbonation ferment stop any oxygen spoilage(vinegar) or is a Campden tab necessary to combat this?Many thanks in advance for any thoughts and experienced advice

Hi!
I haven't made cider, but when bottling beer it's simply a case of priming each bottle, siphoning into the bottle and capping immediately.
I think you're worrying too much about oxidation.

Cheers Bigcol, Cider is in the bottle now,I only knocked one over while filling them,kitchen smells of cider!

I have always racked onto a crushed campden tablet for degassing and clearing so no need to add more at bottling time (this is for wine)

Don't add campden tablets before bottling as it'll stop the yeast from working. Just prime with sugar and bottle.

Would this work to keep cider at a certain sweetness as i keg so that would be no problem
Would need to add potassium sorbate as well as campden to fully stabilise the cider but yes, with those 2 additives you can keep a cider sweet then force carb in a keg.

Stabilizer and PS do not kill the yeast they stop it reproducing this is a common misconception and I only found out it is the case recently having had a couple of wines slowly ferment in the bottles.

Stabilizer and PS do not kill the yeast they stop it reproducing this is a common misconception and I only found out it is the case recently having had a couple of wines slowly ferment in the bottles.
Do you know what you need to do to fully kill all the yeast?

Could you do this in the keg
Be a bit difficult, really. If you did want to keep residual sweetness I'd campden and sorbate as above and cold crash and possibly add finings to get as much yeast dropped out as possible, then force carb it. If you were drinking it over a reasonable amount of time I don't think there'd be any problems doing it that way.

Latest posts

Back