campden tablets- yuck!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vassili

Reaction score
Today I have made up the yeast starter for my Apple juice I produced on Sunday afternoon, as recommended in the books I added 1 tablet per gallon and left over 36 hours as stated. Well I have just tasted the juice before pitching, it no longer tastes anything like what it did before and has a definite campden after taste, doesn't even smell the same.
Thankfully I did not add any to the 200 ltr vat.
Will definitely never be doing that again.
In future I will have a yeast starter on the go before pressing and pitch immediately.

I was given 1gal of pressed AJ with a campden in it and was advised to leave it 2 full days to make sure it was all out. So it may just be a case of waiting a bit longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I particularly noticed this when doing a final racking and filter on a Kenridge 30 bottle kit. Racked onto 5 crushed Campdens and I am convinced this made the wine both cloudy and not good tasting for a couple of days. OK now

Hoping someone can clear something up for me.
As above, Vinotinto has used Campden tans for a wine kit, which normally includes all 'ingredients'. For Beaverdale kits, there is no mention of using Campden tabs, but I assumed the Chitosan serves a similar purpose to Campden tabs.
Is this correct?

Against all the 'rules' I never let Campden tablets or any form of sulphite near my wine musts prior to adding yeast. Never have done and have never had a batch spoil - out of hundreds,maybe thousands (I've been at it 30-odd years!).

Hoping someone can clear something up for me.
As above, Vinotinto has used Campden tans for a wine kit, which normally includes all 'ingredients'. For Beaverdale kits, there is no mention of using Campden tabs, but I assumed the Chitosan serves a similar purpose to Campden tabs.
Is this correct?

I am sure this has been discussed before and the answer was the stabiliser sachet in kits also contains sodium metabisulfite.

Today I have made up the yeast starter for my Apple juice I produced on Sunday afternoon, as recommended in the books I added 1 tablet per gallon and left over 36 hours as stated. Well I have just tasted the juice before pitching, it no longer tastes anything like what it did before and has a definite campden after taste, doesn't even smell the same.
Thankfully I did not add any to the 200 ltr vat.
Will definitely never be doing that again.
In future I will have a yeast starter on the go before pressing and pitch immediately.

You'll find that it is hard for the so2 to dissipate from a dj, especially before fermenting and the excess co2 you'd get after fermentation to flush it out doesn't happen. Chuck a little yeast in to help flush it out. Thing is if you don't use camdens at start with hard cider you might end up with one of these in there...
weird.jpg

Back