Campden tablets

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trudy

Reaction score
Ok....so iv now racked my wine..rhubarb.. peach..orange..carrot..potato..and parsnip...do I add campden tablets to just the fruit wines or all of them,, thankyou...had a little sample of potato...phewww it's strong !!!!

All wines benefit from the addition of a campden tablet.

If you look at a bottle of wine next time you go to the supermarket it will almost always say on the label "Contains Sulphites".

This is what campden tablets provide for the wine. Sulphites prevent bacterial contamination and also inhibit the yeast.

So do you folks use a Camden tablet instead of stabiliser or do you use both?

So is it ok to sprinkle a crushed tablet into the raked wine....or shall I leave it till next time I rack it and crush the tablet first before I rack it

Most stabilisers I have used have been potassium sorbate I have never heard of anyone using campden tablets as stabiliser, this sums it up.

Used by wine makers for stabilising and preventing fermentation after bottling (i.e. stops fermentation).

Potassium Sorbate Fermentation Stopper/Wine Stabiliser - To be used at a rate of 1/2 tsp per gallon.

Supplied in a resealable tub

Campden tablets are potassium metabisulphite

And stabiliser is potassium sorbate and potassium metabisulphite combined

So they dont perform the same function. Campden tablets are to prevent spoilage and sorbate is to prevent refermentation by stopping yeast budding (reproducing)

Stabilising powder carries out both functions

I recently added potassium sorbate to end fermentation of a racked gooseberry wine. No problem. I then added a crushed campden tablet and it went immediately cloudy. So much so I had to gelatine fine it again. Still tasted okay despite losing a lot of its colour. So, my advice is don’t add campden tablets to wine post fermentation.

Latest posts

Back