CAMRA at it again

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MickDundee

Landlord.
Reaction score
F499B74C-E335-484E-9BB9-30107ABF2692.jpeg

To paraphrase - the CO2 shortage is a risk to pubs and breweries when many are already in the brink, but if everyone just drank cask ale it wouldn’t be a problem.

They are rightfully getting pelters on Facebook over this, but their diehards are still desperate to defend them.

View attachment 54628

To paraphrase - the CO2 shortage is a risk to pubs and breweries when many are already in the brink, but if everyone just drank cask ale it wouldn’t be a problem.

They are rightfully getting pelters on Facebook over this, but their diehards are still desperate to defend them.
What is it that you find wrong with this? It is factually correct.

It's correct if the only use a brewery had for CO2 was carbing keg beer. It is used in various cleaning and bottling processes too. I spoke to the warehouse manager of a large, traditional brewery today whose own production is 80% cask and who are currently getting a third of the CO2 they need to operate. CAMRA's statement was opportunistic and betrayed a lack of understanding of the industry they claim to defend.

It's correct if the only use a brewery had for CO2 was carbing keg beer. It is used in various cleaning and bottling processes too. I spoke to the warehouse manager of a large, traditional brewery today whose own production is 80% cask and who are currently getting a third of the CO2 they need to operate. CAMRA's statement was opportunistic and betrayed a lack of understanding of the industry they claim to defend.
It would have been good if the OP had said that.

You don’t think what they’ve said is insensitive to the hardworking and struggling pubs and breweries.

It’s not even factually correct (as pointed out above real ale production requires a lot more CO2 than a lot of people might think), but even if it was, whoever put that statement together and decided to put it in the public domain certainly didn’t “read the room”.

Well may be you knew that real ale production needs lots of CO2 but I didn't.
It wasn’t even so much about the fact that real ale production requires more CO2, it was the fact that the statement was such a tone deaf one to make at a time when so many pubs (including CAMRA affiliated ones) are struggling.

I'm curious as to whether the lessened environmental impact of not requiring co2 is outweighed by the wastage inherent in a product that has a three day shelf life from opening.

I too am struggling to understand the problem with this statement. Camera's MO is to get more people to drink cask ale, nowt wrong with that is there, and if more beer was hand pumped as opposed to pushed out with CO2 surely the demand for CO2 would drop?

i'm no great follower of the rights or wrongs of CAMRA, but it seems to me they saw the opportunity for a PR tap-in, and took it. Is it an over-simplification? Yes, of course. But I don't think it makes them worse than an thousand Hitlers, though.

Many places do not sell enough real ale and so the real ale they sell is old, stale and not enjoyable. I stayed at an upmarket pub b&b recently, it was excellent in all aspects except the beer. I switched to keg after tasting the beer on handpump, and - a first for me - I was served a pint of cloudy keg. I was told that all barrels are slightly different and that the cloudiness did not affect the taste - keg beer I remind you. The pub was cask marque accredited.

Many places do not sell enough real ale and so the real ale they sell is old, stale and not enjoyable. I stayed at an upmarket pub b&b recently, it was excellent in all aspects except the beer. I switched to keg after tasting the beer on handpump, and - a first for me - I was served a pint of cloudy keg. I was told that all barrels are slightly different and that the cloudiness did not affect the taste - keg beer I remind you. The pub was cask marque accredited.
What was the keg beer? Plenty of keg “craft” beers have cloud/haze these days as part of style.

Latest posts

Back