CAMRA at it again

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
can't remember, but it had "session" in the name. My first 2 pints were crystal clear also, so Does craft keg have a hazy layer at the bottom ? It was'nt the sort of establishment IMHO to sell fancy keg beers but I may be wrong. My main point was about lack of throughput on the draught real ales.

If you thought my OP was bad, now they’ve really overstepped the mark!
C4EE6724-5E58-4626-887B-70A3B6794126.jpeg

James Blunt FFS

I can't listen to that boy talk never mind sing.
He’s actually quite hilarious on Twitter. Takes the **** out of himself a lot and has some quite witty comebacks for some of the trolls.

One of my favourites was someone tweeting “why does James Blunt sing like someone is standing on his Willy?” And he responded with something like “it’s so long it keeps getting tangled under my feet”. Or the one where someone tweeted a lot of all the things he hated about James Blunt, and he simply responded with “and no mortgage”.

I think he’s probably be quite entertaining to have a pint with… as long as he doesn’t sing.

He’s actually quite hilarious on Twitter. Takes the **** out of himself a lot and has some quite witty comebacks for some of the trolls.

One of my favourites was someone tweeting “why does James Blunt sing like someone is standing on his Willy?” And he responded with something like “it’s so long it keeps getting tangled under my feet”. Or the one where someone tweeted a lot of all the things he hated about James Blunt, and he simply responded with “and no mortgage”.

I think he’s probably be quite entertaining to have a pint with… as long as he doesn’t sing.
Or talk, I think it's the accent

CAMRA seems to be one of the strangest organisations on the planet, an absolute gift for Viz writers. But, in this instance, I don't see what's wrong with pointing out that naturally conditioned ale makes sense and is a way around the crisis which can actually help the struggling pub and brewing industries? Even if it appears opportunistic, it's true and potentially helpful, surely? It seems a bit mad that a drink that creates its own co2 is routinely force carbonated. Regardless of shortages. Sustainable practices needed establishing and encouraging, which is what is happening here I think?

Cask isn't a sustainable product for publicans in a time when potential customers are a wary of going to enclosed public spaces. They've no guarantee they will sell the entire cask once tapped. Keg on the other hand is a safer bet. Very easy for Camra to tell people to drink cask with no liability to themselves.

So for someone who has never had a cask beer what's the rules. Once it's tapped it has to be consumed in 3 days. No form of CO2 allowed to maintain or keep the beer from spoiling.
Naturally carbonated

It seems a bit mad that a drink that creates its own co2 is routinely force carbonated.

There is a parallel with sparkling wines here. All the experts say that wine made using the Champagne method, which is naturally carboneted, is better than wine force carbonated in tanks, like Prosecco. The same may well be true of beer - with pressure fermenters so popular these days, why would anyone not do a closed transfer to keep the naturally produced CO2? I can't be doing with all this cold crashing business either: I closed transfer my beer from the Fermzilla to casks fitted with dip tubes; a small amount of finings is added and the beer is crystal clear within 24 hours and I don't have to lump heavy fermenters around the place.

There is a parallel with sparkling wines here. All the experts say that wine made using the Champagne method, which is naturally carboneted, is better than wine force carbonated in tanks, like Prosecco. The same may well be true of beer - with pressure fermenters so popular these days, why would anyone not do a closed transfer to keep the naturally produced CO2? I can't be doing with all this cold crashing business either: I closed transfer my beer from the Fermzilla to casks fitted with dip tubes; a small amount of finings is added and the beer is crystal clear within 24 hours and I don't have to lump heavy fermenters around the place.
You could probably make the same argument you’ve just made for not force carbonating for cold crashing, especially in a pressure ferment environment. Why add fish bladders or cow/pig collagen to a brew when you can clear it naturally by cold crashing? And cold crashing absorbs some of the naturally produced CO2 into the liquid this assisting with the natural carbonation and helping prolong the shelf life.

It’s only my cask-style ales that I can fully carbonate through my pressure fermenting method, other styles still need some assistance from my CO2 canister to get them to the desired carbonation levels.

Why would you force carbonate? Control and consistency of carbonation, flavour and storage stability. Cask puts a lot of trust in a third party to prepare the beer as the brewer intended. Beer isn't always sold in places equipped for cask. Filtering or centrifuging instead of fining and dry hopping techniques can restrict natural carbonation as a viable option, depending on the desired end result.

Latest posts

Back