CAMRA at it again

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have to disagree there. CAMRA was specifically formed to champion cask. That's what they should have stuck too. Thinking that they should champion craft keg is like saying the campaign for real champagne should also champion Merlot. Misses the point - different products both with their own attributes.

What they should have done is extend the hands of friendship to the emerging craft keg scene with the idea they set up their own campaigning organisation, with which they could cooperate on issues on which they both agree, which are many.

Unfortunately, it seems there were to many entrenched prejudices on both sides of that divide for that happy outcome to become a reality.

Now, big beer must me pissing their pants with laughter as we all rip each other apart

Bravo. 😥
It's like feuding religions saying my god is better that yours.

quality of so-called real ale, which one curious contributor thinks I need to be educated on (!) has deteriorated to the point where this and the keg beers of the 1970s have almost reached behind each others' backs to form such a similarity
Really? They must be rubbish pubs and breweries in your area.

I truly think the issue with CAMRA is that of a group which got what it wanted but was never willing to admit it. That is why they have to continue to invent issues to try to remain relevant. A few of the old guys who founded CAMRA knew something about the beers they found were being foisted upon them and retailiated brilliantly.

As a long-term CAMRA member I tend to agree. They won, and probably should have stopped there, sometime in the late 80s. Mission accomplished, great beer thriving everywhere, after the dark days of the 1970s. I've stayed a member because I support their cause but some of their politics is very off-putting. My local brewery now serves it's best beers from the keg under CO2 and I drink them because they are good.

Really? They must be rubbish pubs and breweries in your area.
Well I have certainly tasted a lot of 'real ales' which are bland in anyone's book. Commercial pressures apply I guess. I can make a beer which I like but would it sell? I have seen some great tasting beers sink because they weren't commercially viable.

Yours is a truly strange reply; It is as though you have chosen to apply your preferred veneer on everything I wrote. Eg, You claim I need an education, yet you obviously do not know the difference between ale and beer. That's fine by me, but, I have been brewing 'real ale' for over 45 years sonny. The rest of your observations are equally silly and unfounded. Another clear example is I was clearly not talking about 'refugees' at all.
Oh dear..... Did you really call me Sonny??.... What an absolute tool 😂😂😂😂

Oh look, someone is being battered for making unpopular statements And it isn't me! That's novel, I've got to have a go at this ...

... Eg, You claim I need an education, yet you obviously do not know the difference between ale and beer. ...

Right in my "chosen" subject too, and a very certain statement suggesting what may be a mistaken belief. So: Please tell us what "the difference between ale and beer" might be? (And what "Sonny" might of got wrong?).

Warning: Answering may not go well for the person answering (it's possibly a trick question, but it wasn't me that made that statement) ... and anyone is free to answer if they want to (I wouldn't). There are no prizes for getting it right, except for the prize of proving if I've got it wrong!

Warning: Answering may not go well for the person answering (it's possibly a trick question, but it wasn't me that made that statement) ... and anyone is free to answer if they want to (I wouldn't). There are no prizes for getting it right, except for the prize of proving if I've got it wrong!
Are we talking Real Ale or really, real ale?

Yeah, but you can't stop it can you. You know very well how long it will take me to look up the meaning of "pernicious" ... grr.

I was being serious ... honest (honestly; yeah, that don't really rub off on anyone coming from me). Here was my recent summary of ale and beer: Ales and Beers (17th, 18th and a bit of 19th Century) - Home Brew Forum. (Warning: Offsite link).

But as also mentioned in that linked post no-one living had to appreciate the difference of "ale" and "beer" and so use the terms interchangeably. I.e. There is no difference. "Mild Ale" is perhaps the last remaining example of historic "Ale", but from a historical standpoint "Mild Ale" is a bit generic and perhaps would have originally been "mild pale 'Ale'". Pale? Pale Ales, Brown Ales, Amber Ales all became "beers" anyway, although some modern, attempted, definitions of "Ale" would have modern-day UK "beers" all down as "ales"!

The antagonists desisted all the same, so I never got my opportunity to cause an even bigger bun fight.

Anyway, enough showing off. It's all part of a very long running, and therefore still evolving, project for me and I do need to get back to it ... (that does involve getting through 40L of an emulation of Ron Pattinson's researched "1804 Barclay Perkins Porter" - very much a "beer" in its day by-the-way, and pre-dating the existence of "black malt").

Oh look, someone is being battered for making unpopular statements And it isn't me! That's novel, I've got to have a go at this ...
Right in my "chosen" subject too, and a very certain statement suggesting what may be a mistaken belief. So: Please tell us what "the difference between ale and beer" might be? (And what "Sonny" might of got wrong?).
Yes of course. Ale was unhopped while beer uses "the pernicious weed". Henry 8th had very strong views on the matter. And with tongue firmly in cheek, "might of" should be "might have" if you really want me to comment on what is 'wrong'. Lighten up!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back