CAMRA stuck in the past?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good job I don't compile crosswords, that's for sure. The PC nutjobs would have lynched me a long, long time ago. Ok fellas... get at it!

US goner

Would've worked perfectly well as a clue and not offensive.

US goner

Would've worked perfectly well as a clue and not offensive.

Some highly sensitive soul who lost a relative in the Vietnam war might disagree. What is it with folk taking offence at the slightest thing and where none is intended? If we look hard enough we can all be ( sorry - pretend to be ) upset by something. This is why society is f*****.

Some highly sensitive soul who lost a relative in the Vietnam war might disagree. What is it with folk taking offence at the slightest thing and where none is intended? If we look hard enough we can all be ( sorry - pretend to be ) upset by something. This is why society is f*****.
Not being an idiot would help here though - you'd have to have been living in a hole to think that using "negro" is not going to cause a kerfuffle in this day and age. If you want to use it that's your prerogative, but you're thick or trying to make a point if you think it's not going to to get you in bother.

Not being an idiot would help here though - you'd have to have been living in a hole to think that using "negro" is not going to cause a kerfuffle in this day and age. If you want to use it that's your prerogative, but you're thick or trying to make a point if you think it's not going to to get you in bother.

I'm honestly not being funny or awkward... but why would it, along with a myriad other terms seen as derogatory? It's just a word, get over it. Getting offended and blowing the thing up leads to where? Ignoring such stuff leads to its demise, not more war and division. I've been called some stuff ( even on here lol ) but I think it's funny - however near to the knuckle.

I'm honestly not being funny or awkward... but why would it, along with a myriad other terms seen as derogatory? It's just a word, get over it. Getting offended and blowing the thing up leads to where? Ignoring such stuff leads to its demise, not more war and division. I've been called some stuff ( even on here lol ) but I think it's funny - however near to the knuckle.
And I honestly don't think you're being funny or awkward - we may have our disagreements over things but I've generally never thought you to be an ill-willed type. You say it's only a word and to you and probably a lot of others it IS just a word, but it's horribly outdated and a reminder that there are still a good number of people that hang on to petty prejudices. The thing is there isn't language that could have the same impact on you (or me for that matter) - as middle-aged white men neither one of us has had to deal with taking that kind of ***** from people on a regular basis in this country. I reckon it'd get old pretty quickly.

Hi!
Wikipedia states: The term can be construed as offensive, inoffensive or completely neutral, largely depending on the region where it is used.

Also, from the same source:
The United States Census Bureau included Negro on the 2010 Census, alongside Black and African-American, because some older black Americans still self-identify with the term. The U.S. Census now uses the grouping "Black, African-American, or Negro". Negro is used in efforts to include older African Americans who more closely associate with the term.

Hi!
Wikipedia states: The term can be construed as offensive, inoffensive or completely neutral, largely depending on the region where it is used.

Also, from the same source:
The United States Census Bureau included Negro on the 2010 Census, alongside Black and African-American, because some older black Americans still self-identify with the term. The U.S. Census now uses the grouping "Black, African-American, or Negro". Negro is used in efforts to include older African Americans who more closely associate with the term.
Fair enough, but as with any use of language it depends on connotation and user. I'd hazard a guess that the writer and consumers of that crossword aren't older African Americans.

And to add, whilst I agree with the sentiment that such language is out dated and ill-considered, when you look at it from a cryptic crossword perspective it makes sense. So I can sort of see how it got through.

@Gunge - I see your point of view and in many instances agree. What we say should be considered as nothing compared to what we mean. But the flip side is that "sticks a stones" isn't your rhyme to sing when you're not on the receiving end of the words.

True I guess, can't ever please everyone.

Latest posts

Back