Can anyone recommend a decent lager kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you can get your hands on it, this is a lovely lager. Made it when I first started brewing and still rate it. Bugger to get though.
Screenshot_20200803-005351.png

Coopers European lager is as good a Stella Artois clone as you could wish for, if a little light in the ABV department. And, at least with my last batch there is little hint that it's a homebrew kit beer.

I brew the European lager and I also have good results. I brew with 500g light spray malt and 700g of sugar and brww to 21l. At the end of fermentation I dry hop with 50g of saaz. It turns out very nice!

Dicko

I’ve had Wilko Mexican Cerveza in the FV for just over a week now, sample jar already tastes delicious. I brewed it to 20L with 500g light and 500g sugar. I would give it a go at 2 gallons with just the can, at worst you lose £12

I had a few of those for Father's Day and did some experimenting, here's my results.

Batch 1 - 1KG table sugar, experimented with different priming sugars and quantities (I use 2L plastic bottles so no worries with over carbing). The bottles primed with regular sugar weren't great. The ones I bottled with brown sugar tasted great. The molasses really improved it. However a few weeks later I tried another one with regular sugar and it tasted great. The extra few weeks really cleaned it up and it tasted so crisp.

Batch 2 - 1KG glucose, primed with brown sugar. These were really nice as soon as they cleared. I still have about 8 bottles left (around 3 pints in each bottle) and have been in the bottle now for 6 weeks.

Batch 3 - I used 1KG regular sugar and 0.5KG (ish) of brown sugar in the primary and again primed with brown sugar. I might try one of these next month but I wont get around to this batch until December I reckon. By then they should have cleared up really well.

I had a few of those for Father's Day and did some experimenting, here's my results.

Batch 1 - 1KG table sugar, experimented with different priming sugars and quantities (I use 2L plastic bottles so no worries with over carbing). The bottles primed with regular sugar weren't great. The ones I bottled with brown sugar tasted great. The molasses really improved it. However a few weeks later I tried another one with regular sugar and it tasted great. The extra few weeks really cleaned it up and it tasted so crisp.

Batch 2 - 1KG glucose, primed with brown sugar. These were really nice as soon as they cleared. I still have about 8 bottles left (around 3 pints in each bottle) and have been in the bottle now for 6 weeks.

Batch 3 - I used 1KG regular sugar and 0.5KG (ish) of brown sugar in the primary and again primed with brown sugar. I might try one of these next month but I wont get around to this batch until December I reckon. By then they should have cleared up really well.

I split it 3 ways, dry hopped one with mosaic and one with hallertau blanc. The normal one is tasty, the one with HB is turning into a really interesting slightly floral lager. The mosaic is an absolutely delicious light ale, but then I love mosaic!

Latest posts

Back