Can anyone recommend a pH meter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jceg316

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm about to start making this season's cider and was wondering if anyone can recommend a pH meter for measuring the apple juice? I've been advised against the Ebay £5 ones, GEB have one for £30 but it looks like the £5 ones with a markup on them (but let me know if I'm wrong). I do make sour beers as well but have never measured pH, could start using it for that as well.

I'm looking to get accurate readings in the range of 3-4pH.

TIA!

As far as I'm aware the cheap ones are probably OK as long as they're calibrated often. I have one of those from ebay for a fiver and I have an expensive Voltcraft one and they both read very close when calibrated.

As far as I'm aware the cheap ones are probably OK as long as they're calibrated often. I have one of those from ebay for a fiver and I have an expensive Voltcraft one and they both read very close when calibrated.

It's impressive how well the cheap shots hold up. As long as you calibrate it every session and at 20 degrees C, they're fine.

Sachets of buffering solution are available. You get 3 in a set and, each is calibrated to a known pH and formulated to be added to RO water to make 250ml buffer. This fits in a decent sized jam jar and lasts forever, or until you spill or heavily contaminate it. Wash the meter in RO water between calibrations or samples.

It's impressive how well the cheap shots hold up. As long as you calibrate it every session and at 20 degrees C, they're fine.

Sachets of buffering solution are available. You get 3 in a set and, each is calibrated to a known pH and formulated to be added to RO water to make 250ml buffer. This fits in a decent sized jam jar and lasts forever, or until you spill or heavily contaminate it. Wash the meter in RO water between calibrations or samples.
would de-ionised water from the local car spares work too ? tbh I didn't realise the need to regularly re-calibrate so don't have the original solutions anymore and have been using it thinking it was still ok !!

would de-ionised water from the local car spares work too ? tbh I didn't realise the need to regularly re-calibrate so don't have the original solutions anymore and have been using it thinking it was still ok !!

Yep, your de-ionised water is perfect. Calibration is an easy thing to miss if you've never used these instruments before. You will probably find that the readings wander a wee bit in between sessions. If the probe is going way off during your brew sessions then it might be time to replace it. The sachets to make the calibration are cheap and I find this type of jam jar good for storing them.

Yep, your de-ionised water is perfect. Calibration is an easy thing to miss if you've never used these instruments before. You will probably find that the readings wander a wee bit in between sessions. If the probe is going way off during your brew sessions then it might be time to replace it. The sachets to make the calibration are cheap and I find this type of jam jar good for storing them.
Appreciate your help, much obliged !

Thanks for your replies everyone. It seems that cheap ones are ok, they just need calibrating before each use. Maybe that's worth the saving considering I make cider a handful of times a year, really not the end of the world to recalibrate every time.

With the buffering solution, once made up do they stay at that pH for a while or is it single use?

Thanks for your replies everyone. It seems that cheap ones are ok, they just need calibrating before each use. Maybe that's worth the saving considering I make cider a handful of times a year, really not the end of the world to recalibrate every time.

With the buffering solution, once made up do they stay at that pH for a while or is it single use?

Single use, although you might find little difference from one brew day to the next. Depends on the sensor, some wander more than others. I think the best practice would be to calibrate at the start of your session and check if you are doing more than one measurement or set of measurements in a brew day.

Latest posts

Back