Can anyone recommend me a stout/porter recipe

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul7189

Regular.
Reaction score
Hey,

I have a friend who is a big stout/porter fan and he has built a bar in his garden. I’m looking and brewing him a beer for when it’s finished and he is after a stout or porter.
I am really not a fan of either style and stick to IPAs so I don’t know where to go.
Does anyone have a favourite recipe that they would be willing to recommend for me? Even if it’s a all grain kit from somewhere online.
Usual 20-23 litre batch size. No preference on ABV.

Thanks in advance!

Do you have the Greg Hughes book ? If so I can recommend the Greg Hughes dry stout recipe. I'm on version 4 of mine and have tweaked it a little bit from original recipe

Mash around the high 60's. Use 5-8% Roasted Barley, chocolate malt or a combination of the two. 0-10% Crystal Malt depending on how dry/sweet to want it and a bittering addition of around 10 ibus per % abv. Is my rough start point.

As long as you use a medium-high attenuating yeast, you can't really go wrong. Super clean yeasts work well, and imo so do fruity or even belgian style ones.

Last edited:
IMG_20220330_111036.jpg

Gordon Strong's recipe, and very smooth it is too.

Irish Extra Stout
(5 gallons/19 L, all-grain)
OG = 1.059 FG = 1.014
IBU = 40 SRM = 50 ABV = 6%

This recipe is not necessarily a clone recipe of O’Hara’s Leann Folláin, however it is based on information I gleaned from Carlow Brewing Co.’s Head Brewer Conor Donoghue and is at least similar. Many Irish extra stouts use anywhere from 7–15% roasted grains, however this recipe skips using any roasted barley or black patent and instead uses a higher percentage of chocolate malt. I have found that the higher percentage really does give it a deep roasted character.

Ingredients

8 lbs. (3.6 kg) UK Golden Promise malt
2 lbs. (0.91 kg) flaked barley
8 oz. (227 g) torrified wheat
1.75 lbs. (0.79 kg) UK chocolate malt (425 °L)
8 oz. (227 g) UK brown malt
6 AAU UK Northdown hops (90 min.)
(0.75 oz./21 g at 8% alpha acids)
4.5 AAU UK Fuggle hops (30 min.)
(1 oz./28 g at 4.5% alpha acids)
0.5 oz. (14 g) UK Fuggle hops (5 min.)
Wyeast 1084 (Irish Ale) or White Labs WLP004 (Irish Ale) yeast
3⁄4 cup corn sugar (if priming)

Step by Step

Two or three days before brew day, make a 1-qt. (1-L) yeast starter, aerating the wort thoroughly (preferably with oxygen) before pitching the yeast.

On brew day, prepare your ingredients; mill the grain, measure your hops, and prepare your water. This recipe uses reverse osmosis (RO) water. Add 1⁄4 tsp. 10% phosphoric acid per 5 gallons (19 L) of brewing water, or until water measures pH 5.5 at room temperature. Add 1 tsp. calcium chloride (CaCl2) to the mash.

On brew day, mash in the Golden Promise, flaked barley, and torrified wheat at 147 °F (64 °C) in 15 qts. (14 L) of water, and hold this temperature for 60 minutes. Infuse with boiling water or direct heating to reach 155 °F (68 °C); hold this temperature for 30 minutes. Raise the temperature by infusion or direct heating to 168 °F (76 °C) to mashout. Add the chocolate and brown malts, and recirculate for 20 minutes. Fly sparge with 168 °F (76 °C) water until 7 gallons (26.5 L) of wort is collected.

Boil the wort for 120 minutes, adding the hops at times indicated in the recipe.

Chill to 66 °F (19 °C). Oxygenate, then pitch the yeast starter. Ferment at 68 °F (20 °C) until fermentation is complete. Rack the beer. Prime and bottle condition, or keg and force carbonate to 2.3 volumes.

I have recently tried the Guinness West Indies porter recipe on the wildabouthops.nz website. It is not quite the same as the Guinness version (a bit drier mainly, a bit more like the Fullers London porter) but is rather good.

I have recently tried the Guinness West Indies porter recipe on the wildabouthops.nz website. It is not quite the same as the Guinness version (a bit drier mainly, a bit more like the Fullers London porter) but is rather good.

Where did you get the Sour grapes malt from? Or what makes a good substitute?

It sounds like an interesting product.

A couple of dark ones that I will be brewing again.
London Porter, based on a few of similar recipes from BYO.com and others, supposed to be similar to Fuller's. This was very good. Though I would use a better yeast next time. Cushyno Brewdays etc..

One roughly based on Greg Hughes Oatmeal Stout also very enjoyable. Worked well with MJ liberty bell yeast. Consumed this from a barrel which was great for the style of beer, but a few that were bottled have aged particularly well. My version using Vienna and red-x here: Cushyno Brewdays etc..

I’m drinking this just now

I’ve made a few stouts and this is the best one so far, It’s brilliant….100% recommended and now on my ‘house‘ beer list!

I’ve also got grains in for 10l batches of GH‘s Oatmeal Stout and Ace of Spades Porter as I’ve heard great things about them too….I just need some time!

R

Back