Can anyone suggest a yeast for this english pale ale?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi, All!

I’m looking forward yeast suggestions for the following English pale.

A full bodied, fruity ale with a subtle bitterness and glorious grapefruit and pine aromas. Whitstable Bay Pale Ale is designed to suit all palates and offer a light, thirst quenching, refreshing taste

I will be using Maris otter, some Pilsner, a light touch of Crystal and sugar.
Hops- challenger and Slovenian Goldings, added mostly late.

But what yeast?

I have liberty bell and verdant kicking about but as I’m about to put an order in will also consider any liquid yeasts available from geterbrewed.

What yeast do peeps think will match the brief best?

ah london ale III. i think thats the liquid equivilent to verdant i have in dry? ive just used white labs london fog in an american pale which is similar too as i understand it?

I've had some success with Liberty Bell in conjunction with Styrian Goldings as a late hop. This gave a delicious fruity golden ale. The fruitiness did fade a bit after a few weeks but was still there. Liberty Bell was fermented at 19degC then raised to 20.5 after 2 days. I could have pushed it a degree higher.

Not yet tried the London Ale III or the Verdant, though I have both in stock to choose for a couple of more rich and fruity brews next month.

if i go dry i think it will be liberty bell i think , so good to know it compliments the SGs. Leaning towards liquid at the moment though as i will be brewing as soon as it arrives.

I did a hoppy pale recently with WLP006 Bedford British (the Charles Wells strain) and the yeast performed beautifully and I was really pleased with the results.

Wyeast 1318 is a good choice. I might also consider WLP002 English Ale (the Fullers strain)

The obvious (and cheapest!) option would be to get hold of the Sheps yeast, either scavenged from a cask or I'm fairly sure that 1698 is bottle conditioned with the production yeast - I've not tried it myself, but it's widely available in supermarkets.

Yes Verdant is a derivative of 1318 London Ale III, and is generally the least bad dry yeast for British styles these days, although some people find the vanilla note a bit off-putting. Liberty Bell is a decent alternative, and might be better suited here.

But I'm not sure you really want a 1318 for this kind of beer, it's maybe got a bit more character than you want in something like WPA. A really under-rated yeast for this kind of session beer is WLP041 Pacific Ale which despite the name is a British yeast, probably a derivative of Gale's. It gives a really easy-drinking character which works well for something like this. I see GEB don't have it, but they do have what's meant to be the Wyeast equivalent, 1332, which I've not tried.

As an aside I'd regard WLP002 and 1968 as distress purchases these days - there's plenty of better British yeasts out there, and wherever they came from originally, they certainly don't have the marmalade character that is so typical of the real Fuller's yeast. Which is easily harvested from cask, 1845 or Lancer, or Imperial A09 Pub is a much closer match.

Cheers chaps. A couple more for me to have a look into.

In terms of the SN strain I think I recall reading at some stage it having dactyl notes but they may just have been for spitfire and deliberately not giving it a diacetylmorphine rest. I emailed them but never heard back.

In terms of the SN strain I think I recall reading at some stage it having dactyl notes but they may just have been for spitfire and deliberately not giving it a diacetylmorphine rest.

Wow - I know there's some drug problems on the Kent coast, but it's a bit extreme to accuse all Sheps drinkers of being smackheads!!!! :laugh8:

I've had some success with Liberty Bell in conjunction with Styrian Goldings as a late hop. This gave a delicious fruity golden ale.

+1

I grow Styrian Goldings so have a lot of them, and they end up in many of my brews. I recently swicthed to Liberty Bell as my main yeast as it does exactly what you say, brings out the hop flavours really well.

Ok so I’ve put my order in for next three brews and didn’t order any yeast as couldn’t decide n which liquid. Gonna crack on with liberty bell for this, then use the verdant in a hazy pale and some us05 in a mosaic smash.

After these have been put to bed, For the following batches I think I will get some London iii, and overbuild starters and use it for an amber bitter, a malty us pale and another hazy pale. Looks to be quite versatile.

Cheers for the input chaps

Hi, All!

I’m looking forward yeast suggestions for the following English pale.

A full bodied, fruity ale with a subtle bitterness and glorious grapefruit and pine aromas. Whitstable Bay Pale Ale is designed to suit all palates and offer a light, thirst quenching, refreshing taste

I will be using Maris otter, some Pilsner, a light touch of Crystal and sugar.
Hops- challenger and Slovenian Goldings, added mostly late.

But what yeast?

I have liberty bell and verdant kicking about but as I’m about to put an order in will also consider any liquid yeasts available from geterbrewed.

What yeast do peeps think will match the brief best?
The Ultimate Beer Yeast List - BeerCraftr. Try this link it's quite useful

My favorite yeast at the moment for English beers is Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire. Very lively tries to escape from the FV and leaves a lovely finish.

My favorite yeast at the moment for English beers is Wyeast 1469 West Yorkshire. Very lively tries to escape from the FV and leaves a lovely finish.
Tries to escape? You bet! This is from earlier today when I had to fit a blowoff tube to a 1469 fuelled fermentation. Only seconds after fitting the tube it was up the spout!
rps20210528_192946.jpg

+1

I grow Styrian Goldings so have a lot of them, and they end up in many of my brews. I recently swicthed to Liberty Bell as my main yeast as it does exactly what you say, brings out the hop flavours really well.

I’ve just been reading the dedicated LB thread, my one issue is maybe flocculation as I want this to be bright! My split batch on that thread were both dumped because of infection so no Previous to go on.

Back