Can I add different fruit/flavours in various demijohns to red wine brew kit please?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bootcutboy

Reaction score
Howdy folks, hope everyone is supping well and staying safe.

I made a red wine kit a while back and am happy with the 30 bottles I have stored. I actually have a second one of the exact same kit to make ASAP as it is almost at its Best Before date. I don’t have another 30 empty bottles though so I am wondering if I can store in separate demijohns and have a play about with some flavouring, basically I was thinking of racking the kit into 6 separate 5L demijohns each with a different fruit or fruit extract inside and keep them in SEALED demijohns and bottle them all at a later date?? Probably 6 months or so down the line or just whenever I have drank the other 30 bottles.

My question is this, I want to add 6 different flavours to experiment, i am thinking peach in one DJ, cherry in another, pineapple in another etc... would I need to rack off into demijohns and add the flavours into my FV BEFORE secondary fermentation?? Or can I add the fruit to the demijohns and then leave it for months??
For me Adding fruit or fruit flavourings AFTER secondary fermentation would be much better if this is possible as I have a brew fridge which I can keep the FV nice and warm in but I just wouldn’t fit 6 demijohns in the fridge.

Also if adding actual fruit into the demijohns is not a good idea then could I add organic fruit extracts?

I hope this all makes sense, let me know if you need any more info. Any help as always guys would be fantastic!

Latest posts

Back