Can I Batch Prime in a Corny?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
My gas bottle is running dangerously low and due to the current situation with CO2 etc during the pandemic I was wondering if I could maybe batch prime in my two cornies instead?
If so what is the best way to do so (sugar amounts? how long to wait? still purge and top up with co2? . How long to leave before pouring and how many pints approx could i expect to pour before using gas? I have a stout amd an IPA ready. Is this a recommended way to do or do the cons outweigh the pros?
Look forward to reply... ty

I wouldn't do that personally, as the lid need a blast of co2 to seal properly. The co2 situation not as bad, worth to give your supplier a ring, asking about their stock level.

My gas bottle is running dangerously low and due to the current situation with CO2 etc during the pandemic I was wondering if I could maybe batch prime in my two cornies instead?
If so what is the best way to do so (sugar amounts? how long to wait? still purge and top up with co2? . How long to leave before pouring and how many pints approx could i expect to pour before using gas? I have a stout amd an IPA ready. Is this a recommended way to do or do the cons outweigh the pros?
I do just have to wait a bit longer.
https://byo.com/article/bottling-kegging-bottling-kegging/

Are you sure you can't get CO2 - I have had 2 refills in the last month - no problem

You can secondarily ferment in a corny - but as has been said you need to prime with 3 psi of CO2 to seal the corny properly - you will then end up with a couple of pints of trub which would come out of the corny first. Forced carbing is far easier

Are you sure you can't get CO2 - I have had 2 refills in the last month - no problem

You can secondarily ferment in a corny - but as has been said you need to prime with 3 psi of CO2 to seal the corny properly - you will then end up with a couple of pints of trub which would come out of the corny first. Forced carbing is far easier

I think a floating dip tube would be just the trick and then the bottom trub can be avoided.

I sugar primed an ESB the first time I used a corny ( a few months ago ).
After dry hopping I cold crashed it then transferred off trub to a clean fv and added dextrose.
Syphoned into sanitised corny, gave it a blast of Co2 then depressurised a few times to expel any oxygen.
It worked very well, the beer was crystal clear when it went in the corny so I wasn't too worried about trub.

Latest posts

Back