Can I bottle half my brew now and half later?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnusTS

Reaction score
I'm brewing a stout for my son, but have just realised I don't have enough spare bottles.
Could I bottle half of the brew now, and let him take away 20 bottles.
and then bottle the rest in a couple of weeks when I have some more spare bottles?

It is in a fermentor with a tap, so was thinking I could try taking half out through the tap to bottling bucket, and leave the rest in the fermenter, would that still be protected under the CO2?

good plan re plastic bottles. I'd not thought of that.

I would think drawing off a couple of gallons is bound to suck some oxygen into the fermenter, so if it was me I would either rack off the rest into something smaller (e.g. Demijohns) or bottle it into whatever you can get your hands on. At a push you can get 2 litre PET bottles of water from most supermarkets for next to nothing e.g. ASDA 17p.

Thanks everyone.
I just ordered some cheap plastic 500ml bottles.
They'll be perfect for the lad. Less weight, and less annoying when he loses or breaks them.

I do like the idea of sending 2L PET bottles of stout up to him.
I think I will do that too. Would probably get drunk before it had a chance to go flat.
And much less bottling work for me.
Genius. Thanks.

I use 2L bottles. It's more or less 3 pints after leaving a gap. Plus you'll never have to worry about "bottle bombs".

Latest posts

Back