Can I part bottle a brew?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tezz

Reaction score
So I am brewing Coopers Geordie lager, its been in 10 days now. Hydrometer reading has been the same for 2 days so will check again tomorrow.

The issue being is am waiting for a delivery for brew2bottle with more caps and siphon and a few other bits.

Should I just leave the brew fermenting until I get my bits an bobs or can I bottle say 10 litres and then bottle the rest once I get more caps.

I have got a smaller Mr Brew vessel. Just wasnt sure whether giving it and extra few days would make a difference?

I think it'd be fine. Rack it with minimal sloshing (you really don't want to introduce oxygen) and possibly add a bit of sugar (100g or so) to get a little secondary fermentation going and I reckon you'd be grand for a short while longer. Some people routinely rack off for secondary fermentation

If it were me, I'd either leave it alone until the caps arrive or add a bit of sugar, dissolved in boiling water and allowed to cool, to the bulk of the beer to keep it ticking over. No disrespect to other opinions.

Last edited:
Personally I would just leave it for a few more days, until your bottles arrive and bottle the lot (I doubt it will do it any harm). I tend to bottle/keg my beer beer on the weekend so if a beer hits Final gravity on a Sunday I am not going to bottle it until the following Saturday. A while back I came down with a really bad cold followed by going on holiday for a week so my beer was in primary for four weeks (It was perfectly fine).

As for bottling half now its not something I’ve tried but I can’t see any reason why you inherently couldn’t.

If it were me, I'd either leave it alone until the caps arrive or add a bit of sugar, dissolved in boiling waiter and allowed to cool, to the bulk of the beer to keep it ticking over. No disrespect to other opinions.
No disrespect to this opinion, but it's utter tripe!

(Only kidding, 10 brewers, 11 opinions 😆. Several ways of skinning a cat)

Thanks everyone - think I will just leave it in the hope that it arrives mid week. that will mean it will have been in primary for 14 days.

Time is an investment the longer the better
Leave it finish up and tidy up
I've left beer go 5 or 6 weeks in the bucket no problem only better beer

I’d personally wait until your order arrives, then package. It won’t do any harm leaving it in your primary vessel, even if you don’t get a chance to package until next weekend say

Good choice OP. In general, the fewer transfers / new containers a beer touches the better (less chance of contamination with oxygen or other nasties).

Latest posts

Back