Can I still get an abv if I didn't take an O.G

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Was this kit brew in which case you could get a pretty good estimate of the OG I.e. 3KG of malt extract in a 23 L batch will give you an OG of about 1.040 it won’t be perfect but will give you a pretty good idea.

https://www.brewersfriend.com/homebrew/recipe/calculator

If it’s all grain it’s a tad more difficult and less accurate to use this method unless you know your exact efficiency.

Can I still get an abv if I don't have the O.g ?
In short no, you can approximate based on your ingredients, do the extract calculations but this doesnt factor in your equipment and process which may impact efficiency. You can take a gravity reading now and depending on how many days maybe again you can come up with something but its really all guesswork

I used 2 litres Asda apple juice 2 litres Asda mixed fruit juice 100g sugar and a cup of tea 1tsp yeast 1tsp yeast nutrient 1tsp pectolase

I used 2 litres Asda apple juice 2 litres Asda mixed fruit juice 100g sugar and a cup of tea 1tsp yeast 1tsp yeast nutrient 1tsp pectolase
In which case you should probably be in the Wine, Cider etc section of the forum, not the beer section. Not that it makes any difference to most of the answers to your question.

In which case you should probably be in the Wine, Cider etc section of the forum, not the beer section. Not that it makes any difference to most of the answers to your question.
Haha yeah you're probably correct I'll await a moderator to move it lol

You can check the sugar content of the juices you used, include the extra sugar you have added and work out your sugar per litre. Don't forget any additional water added and the cup of tea. If you search on the internet you can find calculations for the approximate final alcohol content based on sugar per litre.
I haven't made juice wine for a long time, but I used this method, as I would add juice and/or water part way through, to give it some space in the early stage of fermentation. I would generally be aiming for around 11%, but I wasn't concerned about too much accuracy.
Hope this helps.

Latest posts

Back