Can out of date yeast, campden tablets , yeast nutrient etc still be used?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mancer62

Landlord.
Reaction score
while clearing out a few things I have just come across a few items and out of Curiosity I was wondering if they could still be used. It would be no big deal if they can't but if they can then i'd keep them. I have an unopened sachet of wilko wine yeast and two unopened little plastic containers of wilko campden tablets and yeast nutrient.

Yeast nutrient essentially immortal. Campden tablets do degrade but it's pretty slow - how old are you talking? If you get your nose up to the pot do you still recoil and cough, and could they revivify a swooned duchess? If so they're fine.

Yeast.... pffft, that's going to be the tricky one. I've had packets of dried wine yeast that were utterly dead 2 years out of date. They were the huge ones with mad amounts of nutrient and just stored in a room. I'm using dried packets of s-33 kept in a freezer that went out of date in 2016 and they're still chirpy as can be.

Oct and Dec 2015!!!!! LOL.......I can defo smell the yeast nutrient but wasnt sure if that was a good or a bad thing......so chuck or keep???

.I can defo smell the yeast nutrient but wasnt sure if that was a good or a bad thing......so chuck or keep???
I love the smell of yeast nutrient, definitely keep it and class is as 100% effective.

I was using campden tablets I got from at batch of stuff from a car boot sale and the campden tablets expired in 2006, I tested them against a batch of new ones and the new ones would make you recoil from sniffing them after about a 10th of a second and you'd cough for 15 minutes. The old ones would take maybe 1.5 seconds for the same effect. But if you bite into them they're fairly similar - so 2015 I'd treat as at least 75% effective.

Latest posts

Back