Can this be rescued?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuart_A

Reaction score
Morning all
So last night I attempted my second AG brew on my grainfather. Didn't go to plan from the off as I dropped the grain basket pole thingy into the bubbling wort and had to do an emergency rescue. Anyway got past that issue but the big problem is I stupidly brewed to a far higher volume than my ingredients had intended.

I based my mash and Sparge volumes on Brewers friend calcs as opposed to the Grainfathers own and have ended up with about 26l post boil as opposed to 20l. My pre boil gravity was 1032 but somehow (and I know it's physically impossible) my post boil OG is saying 1032 too?!? I was aiming for 1054!!

I have now pitched. Is there anyway I can try and recover this and bump up the abv? Can I add anything at this stage? (Been 7hrs since I added yeast).

Also is there any reason for the odd gravity readings? The pre boil was scooped from the top of the wort and the post poil was pumped through via the cooler. Both were very murky and had a significant amount of sediment which settled quickly. They were both at approx. 20 degrees when reading was taken.

The recipe was for a white ipa with approx. 25% wheat.(pilsner 2.81kg, wheat malt 1.2kg, 0.8kg flaked oats)

Any help much appreciated. Don't really want 25l of wasted beer on my hands!

Thanks

You could add some Malt extract to bump you ABV up..

Hard to tell with pre boil gravities, how did you measure it? the extra liquor will have affected the gravity and will also affect the balance of the beer because it will dilute the hop flavourings..

Add 1KG Dry malt extract to boost the ABV (it shoudl get it back to what woudl have been 1050 ish I would have thought before it started)

Then after fermentation try it.. you could always add a hpo tea or something if the flavour is a little lacking I suppose

Thanks. Would you boil the malt extract first. Is it a problem I won't be able to add it until this evening?

I had 80g citra earmarked for dry hopping so maybe increase proportionately?

I found my last brew did not seem to evaporate as much as previously (I use a 3 vessel system not a fancy BM system or anything!) - I just added 1KG of dry malt to the FV while pitching in the work from the boiler. I never boiled it up first, my reasoning was that when making a kit I just chuck it all in and don't boil first!

The problem I would worry is DME needs to be stirred in a lot.. you may have to disolve it in some water first because trying to stir it in to an already fermenting beer might be a bit risky .. At Pitching time like Blinky did its okay because you're not going to oxidate the wort.

Will Liquid Malt Extract Light do the job? I can get a 1.5kg would you recommend adding it all? and would this need boiled first?

Excellent, i can get to a H&B no bother. So will this be ok considering my beers meant to be a white IPA. Seems a bit dark? Would you say 2 jars?

Maybe a bit darker, but will still be ok and certainly better than if you bin it..!! :lol:

2 jars of the own brand stuff is roughly the equivalent of about 1.2kg of grain. Apparently, the rough conversion is 1kg grain = 0.75kg LME or 0.6kg DME

Maybe a bit darker, but will still be ok and certainly better than if you bin it..!! :lol:

2 jars of the own brand stuff is roughly the equivalent of about 1.2kg of grain. Apparently, the rough conversion is 1kg grain = 0.75kg LME or 0.6kg DME

you are a life saver!

Ok got 2 jars of ME. Shiuld I just lob it in straight from the jars or should I dilute first, if so in how much and in water?

Ok got 2 jars of ME. Shiuld I just lob it in straight from the jars or should I dilute first, if so in how much and in water?

I would just add it, only dilute by rinsing.

Morning all
So last night I attempted my second AG brew on my grainfather. Didn't go to plan from the off as I dropped the grain basket pole thingy into the bubbling wort and had to do an emergency rescue. Anyway got past that issue but the big problem is I stupidly brewed to a far higher volume than my ingredients had intended.

I based my mash and Sparge volumes on Brewers friend calcs as opposed to the Grainfathers own and have ended up with about 26l post boil as opposed to 20l. My pre boil gravity was 1032 but somehow (and I know it's physically impossible) my post boil OG is saying 1032 too?!? I was aiming for 1054!!

I have now pitched. Is there anyway I can try and recover this and bump up the abv? Can I add anything at this stage? (Been 7hrs since I added yeast).

Also is there any reason for the odd gravity readings? The pre boil was scooped from the top of the wort and the post poil was pumped through via the cooler. Both were very murky and had a significant amount of sediment which settled quickly. They were both at approx. 20 degrees when reading was taken.

The recipe was for a white ipa with approx. 25% wheat.(pilsner 2.81kg, wheat malt 1.2kg, 0.8kg flaked oats)

Any help much appreciated. Don't really want 25l of wasted beer on my hands!

Thanks

I got caught out using my rough and ready biab calculations with the gf when I loaned one. Ended up with an odd frothy mess in the boiler. If you follow the numbers they give in the instructions it does work out.

I got caught out using my rough and ready biab calculations with the gf when I loaned one. Ended up with an odd frothy mess in the boiler. If you follow the numbers they give in the instructions it does work out.

Yes first time round I used the app and their calcs and it worked well. Never again will I deviate!

Well that was eventful!
Added the lme put the lid back on and within 60 seconds it had blown the airlock lid off and was spewing out the top.
Had to fashion a blow off tube in record speed without ever doing it before and having none of the equipment.
My jug of starsan is now bubbling so fingers crossed what I've set up will work.
Spent the next 20mins cleaning up the mess. I had told SWMBO I would only be a minute. Fair to say she isn't impressed with my new hobby

Latest posts

Back