Can Tube Heaters be Installed Vertically?

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

MagnusTS

Reaction score
The instructions for my little 1ft tube heater for my fermentation fridge say 'must be installed horizontally'. It would fit my fridge better if i could install vertically up the side of the fridge.

What do you think? Would it be dangerous to install it vertically?

HETH451.JPG

Gerryjo

Still brewing though never get much time....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are designed for horizontal fitting due to the element being linear.If installing vertically this would cause the heat to be concentrated at the end of the tube causing it to overheat and probably cut out or over heating damaging the end cap.Safer to go as per instructions as you will get better heat distribution.

MagnusTS

Reaction score
These are designed for horizontal fitting due to the element being linear.If installing vertically this would cause the heat to be concentrated at the end of the tube causing it to overheat and probably cut out or over heating damaging the end cap.Safer to go as per instructions as you will get better heat distribution.
Thanks for that. I'll play it safe and go horizontal then.

Was just for convenience really. With it horizontal under the FV, my FV gets pushed up a bit too high to fit a bubbler. Not a big problem though.

Gerryjo

Still brewing though never get much time....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for that. I'll play it safe and go horizontal then.

Was just for convenience really. With it horizontal under the FV, my FV gets pushed up a bit too high to fit a bubbler. Not a big problem though.
Put a blow off tube instead of a bubbler and you'll gain a few inches in clearance.

H0PM0NSTER

Regular.
Reaction score
I installed mine diagonally across the back of the small chest freezer I use as a brew fridge. Only way I could fit a longer/ higher capacity heater. It's been working away over 2 years now without any issues.