Can Tube Heaters be Installed Vertically?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagnusTS

Reaction score
The instructions for my little 1ft tube heater for my fermentation fridge say 'must be installed horizontally'. It would fit my fridge better if i could install vertically up the side of the fridge.

What do you think? Would it be dangerous to install it vertically?

HETH451.JPG

These are designed for horizontal fitting due to the element being linear.If installing vertically this would cause the heat to be concentrated at the end of the tube causing it to overheat and probably cut out or over heating damaging the end cap.Safer to go as per instructions as you will get better heat distribution.

These are designed for horizontal fitting due to the element being linear.If installing vertically this would cause the heat to be concentrated at the end of the tube causing it to overheat and probably cut out or over heating damaging the end cap.Safer to go as per instructions as you will get better heat distribution.

Thanks for that. I'll play it safe and go horizontal then.

Was just for convenience really. With it horizontal under the FV, my FV gets pushed up a bit too high to fit a bubbler. Not a big problem though.

Thanks for that. I'll play it safe and go horizontal then.

Was just for convenience really. With it horizontal under the FV, my FV gets pushed up a bit too high to fit a bubbler. Not a big problem though.
Put a blow off tube instead of a bubbler and you'll gain a few inches in clearance.

I installed mine diagonally across the back of the small chest freezer I use as a brew fridge. Only way I could fit a longer/ higher capacity heater. It's been working away over 2 years now without any issues.

Back