Can we be a little more accepting of our differences?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm with dad_of_jon.
Numbers are great, as is risk management. Exactly why I opted out of the company car scheme to buy my own. Once I crunched the numbers and weighed in a contingency for risk of failure, I got a much nicer car for the 8 hours a week I am trapped in a metal box being exposed to ludicrous driving and selfish prats. And if the contigency doesn't get used, it's repurposed towards a holiday.
Same goes for normal monthly expenditure. It All goes on a cashback credit card. And I mean everything. Then when I get paid it all gets cleared off. No interest has ever been paid on this card and I get 5% cashback.
And whilst you can't set up direct debits from a credit card. ... If you want to set up regular payments from your credit card, you can arrange a continuous payment authority (CPA), also known as a recurring payment.
So far very few companies I buy services from have refused their monthly payments via this method.

Saved a fortune over the years.

ooh 5% I remember that.athumb..
I've found garages start to get twitchy when you pay large deposits on the CC, the more clued up they are the less chance but i've payed £6000 on a 1% cashback card - so that was not to be sniffed at.

Totally with you on credit cards, paying the full amount off each month - you get more protection than paying from a bank account.
Plus all of my chargebacks have been successful against retailers. They were at fault in all of the cases but were being R ses about it.
Last issue I had was buying interior doors online... 1 out 7 was damaged but they were being funny about refunding a proportion of the delivery charge which worked out at £10 per door , charged at £70 for the lot.

Ok I said I'll dispute the full amount with a chargeback then...
guess what.....
door refunded with £10 delivery charge.

I was able to pay cash for my wife's 2018 swift sport but they were offering £1000 model launch bonus plus £750 finance deposit contribution at something like 5.9% - So I paid the max deposit (£13000) , suzuki added £750 and I paid off the loan the month after. Interest was about £20-30 ish- can't remember. so well worth paying that to save £750. Car cost £15750. If they are daft enough to do the whole deposit contribution on finance thing - I'm happy to take advantage of that. Of course not everyone is so clued up or has the ability to do that, but if you do it would be rude not to :laugh8:

I realised last night I couldn't find my overflow cone for the pipe from my Brewzilla anywhere then remembered I'd chucked all the spent grain in a black bag outside a week ago. The back of course had ripped.

Found a replacement from China for 8 quid last night but held off - did a horrible version of ducking apples this morning in the soaking wet stinking grain but saved my 8 quid.

If it didn't take a month for delivery I'd have probably paid it.

Yuck.

I don't read all the threads and I haven't been around as some of the old boys and girls, but from the short time I've been on the forum, I have to say I don't recognise what the OP is saying.

A good example -
We were asked to add a beer kit brewing forum a few years ago as the "Once you have made a couple of kits move to AG you will never go back" type comments annoyed the members who were happy for whatever reason just to make kits, these comments were not a rarity so we did.

A good example -
We were asked to add a beer kit brewing forum a few years ago as the "Once you have made a couple of kits move to AG you will never go back" type comments annoyed the members who were happy for whatever reason just to make kits, these comments were not a rarity so we did.

Yes, I noticed that, before I got my equipment I lurked on here for a awhile trying to decide what to buy, I went straight to all grain because of comments like these.

Did somebody mention a Miele fridge….? (Was free from Gumtree though so doesn’t count :laugh8:)

F3F1B57A-F538-4D4E-AE05-F97145485453.jpeg

Some good responses here, and I must say, I am a bit calmer today (yes, the original post was me "angry").
I have also decided to be more accepting of the way others reespond, and do my best to just ignore posts that wind me up.
Key thing is to show respect for others opinions. If anyone catches me not doing that then do please call me out for it :hat:

Key thing is to show respect for others opinions. If anyone catches me not doing that then do please call me out for it :hat:
A nice sunny long weekend is enough to cheer anyone up. While the banter about equipment is like water off a duck's back as far as I'm concerned, there are one or two contributors who, through no fault of their own, irritate the tiits off me. I simply put them on my ignore list and then you can choose to view their content or not depending on the context. I have no doubt I'm on a few ignore lists, too. 😅

I was having a look at this morning's cider discussion and all the flash electric scratters and hydraulic presses. What a bunch of limp-wristed nancy boys (and girls)! What's wrong with the time-honoured tradition of treading your apples and squeezing out the juice through a pair of grandma's old drawers?

Last edited:
Some good responses here, and I must say, I am a bit calmer today (yes, the original post was me "angry").
I have also decided to be more accepting of the way others reespond, and do my best to just ignore posts that wind me up.

A wise decision, but not always easy. I allowed myself to be sucked in to responding to an unfortunately worded response to one of my posts not long after I had joined the forum. Fortunately one of the administrators stepped in very quickly to edit out the other gentleman's remarks and my response to them. I quickly realised that there is no value in perpetuating a pointless disagreement.

Also, it is easy to forget that the tone and meaning of this type of "chatty" non-verbal conversation can easily be lost and misunderstood . . . . . There really is no substitute for a face to face chat over a pint where you can look the other person in the eyes acheers.

I also think that due to our very nature as booze consumers things can sometimes seem different...especially at the end of the night.
I'm wondering now...am I on anyone's ignore list?
Nice one, Clint.
If you were, they wouldn't be reading your question, would they! cheers:

I was interested in this thread following something I was reading on another forum.

On this forum we are pussy-cats! Well trodden down and kept in order by our hard-working administrators. To get an idea of what forum unpleasantness can really mean, try this ten year old thread on Jim's brewing forum (it's fairly long so fetch a coffee - you don't expect short posts from Mr Wheeler - and keep the screen from the eyes of kids and "sensitive" folk!):

... Graham = Graham Wheeler (sadly no longer amongst us)
... pattro1ro = Ron Pattinson
... mashweasel = Kristen England
(So not "unknown" antagonists then!)

Old recipes from Shut up about Barclay Perkins - Home Brew Forum

The subject (brewery records, malt sources, caramel, and others) are interesting in their own right, which is how I came upon it. That forum has a long line of users who do not tolerate fools gladly. Most recently one I labelled a "Norwegian Troll": He doesn't seem to have reappeared since a recent temporary ban from that forum, but be warned, he is known to lurk on this forum!

After getting through those posts, try saying we're anything but not friendly on this site! If you think you can still say it ... I'll be waiting to hand out "flamings"!

Yeah I would keep away from the Sewage thread then as this is what you may be referring to athumb.. :laugh8::laugh8::laugh8:

I was interested in this thread following something I was reading on another forum.

On this forum we are pussy-cats! Well trodden down and kept in order by our hard-working administrators. To get an idea of what forum unpleasantness can really mean, try this ten year old thread on Jim's brewing forum (it's fairly long so fetch a coffee - you don't expect short posts from Mr Wheeler - and keep the screen from the eyes of kids and "sensitive" folk!):

... Graham = Graham Wheeler (sadly no longer amongst us)
... pattro1ro = Ron Pattinson
... mashweasel = Kristen England
(So not "unknown" antagonists then!)

Old recipes from Shut up about Barclay Perkins - Home Brew Forum

The subject (brewery records, malt sources, caramel, and others) are interesting in their own right, which is how I came upon it. That forum has a long line of users who do not tolerate fools gladly. Most recently one I labelled a "Norwegian Troll": He doesn't seem to have reappeared since a recent temporary ban from that forum, but be warned, he is known to lurk on this forum!

After getting through those posts, try saying we're anything but not friendly on this site! If you think you can still say it ... I'll be waiting to hand out "flamings"!
I've pinned that tab before the link gets removed and I'll have a good read of it later on. I've seen worse than that on Jim's (mind you I did start winding him up when he stopped being civil). I think it may well be the Norwegian Troll you refer to. Hangs around in Southampton, too. Didn't know he'd been banned and I was surprised he'd gone quiet.

Last edited:
Back