Can you add too many hops at flame-out

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobukbrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
I just added 200 gm of summit hops at flameout to a 21 litre batch. Supplementary question, does Clarex reduce hop intensity ?

At 10 g/litre, that seems a fine number. You will probably lose 1,5 l of beer through absorption by the hops. Are they pellet or flowers?

I just added 200 gm of summit hops at flameout to a 21 litre batch. Supplementary question, does Clarex reduce hop intensity ?
Sounds good to me! You will still get quite a lot of perceived bitterness even when added very late in the boil or when dry-hopped. What is the estimated BU:GU of the beer?

I do not know what BU:GU is.........
Hi Bob!
I just read your BU:GU thread - sorry, I didn’t realised you’d posted a reply! If you reply to my message or ‘@‘ me it’ll flag in my alerts and I’ll know to take a look.

As another poster has mentioned it is the ratio of the gravity of the beer (how much residual sugar is left) to bitterness. I find it really helpful to bear in mind when designing a beer so you know how bitter/sweet it is likely to be.
Hope that helps!

total IBU is 104 with the 200gm at flame out contributing 13 IBU - OG ~1.040 so ratio is ~ 2.5

thanks - for next monday's brew I will try for 10 ibu from the 60 minute hop, 10 ibu from the flavouring hop, 20 ibu from the 10 minute hop and another 200 gm of this time eldorado at flame out giving around 55 IBU...........

Feedback on the brew - it was FAR too bitter, so next brew just 10 ibu from the bittering hop, 50 ibu from the ten minute hop and 200 gm hops at flame out...always learning....

I only use refractometer but my beers are all close to 4% abv apart from my 2.3 % summer beer...........

@bobukbrewer how are you chilling your wort? And are you throwing in 200g right at the point you turn off your heat?

What do you mean by 60 IBUs is your normal bitterness? How many beers have you brewed with 60 IBUs?

Latest posts

Back