Can you ferment too fast? M54 yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sifty

Landlord.
Reaction score
I brewed a version of a Svagdricka (Swedish light beer, literally 'weak drink') on Friday, as an exercise to see if I could do a lower ABV beer that wasn't watery. (most of mine come in 6-7% so was aiming for around 3.3%).

3.5kg grain bill, based on the Chop and Brew recipe online, and 23 litre batch. I thought I'd try mashing at 68.5 degs to see if that reduced fermentable sugars yet added body.

Anyway, I tried Mangrove Jacks M54 yeast for the first time (2 pkts hydrated) and it took off like a rocket at 19 degs. Seems all done in 48hrs (sunday lunchtime now). Is this legit?

OG came in high (as usual) at 1.039 but not too worried, I just wanted something between 3-4% that was drinkable.
20220626_151640.jpg

20220626_151700.jpg

Last edited:
I'm wondering if it is the low OG, or the different yeast that caused this. Seems unnecessarily rapid. I'll leave it a week to clean itself up but curious. If it tastes ok I'll be able to knock out a seasonable mild in no time... 🙂

Brew not without it's errors. Spilled some grain while milling (lost 20g base, no biggy) and didn't have enough Hallertau so used my own Fuggle I had in the freezer. I used a Dark Mild profile so it should be drinkable.

Anyone used M54 before? It's supposedly a Californian lager yeast you can brew at Ale temps...?

Last edited:
Habit, probably. :D
Plus that's what Brewfather software recommended. Won't do it again if I redo this one.

I've used MJ54 a few times for Cali Commons and Steam Pilseners.
Always used 1 pack with no problems but then I do 18L batches, they advise 2 for anything with a high OG that might stress the yeast or batches over 23L.
As I remember they recommend 2 x packs for OG over 1.050.
Sure it'll be fine but save yourself some money next time !

Thanks for that.
Is it a good yeast for the style? (Cali common). I've not done one of those yet... 🙂

I've never used that yeast although I have some in the fridge for when I make a pseudo lager. In 50+ years of brewing, I've never used 2 sachets of yeast. It's a con. A rehydrate sachet is enough for 20 litres and more, then use the slurry. With lagers, I tend to make a 10 - 12 litre batch with one rehydrate sachet and then use the slurry in a big batch.
It is possible to ferment too fast, but I'm not sure why it happens. Sometimes when it's too hot, the contents of the fermenter will appear to boil. I don't mean that the bits are moving up and down in the liquid at a scary rate, but the whole liquid moves as if it's on a strong, rolling boil. The beer's useless after that. I've only had it happen twice when I was young and foolish.
Yours sounds alright.

In the normal course of events the yeast takes a few hours to build up it’s army but if you pitch lots of yeast in the first place it needs less time and quickly builds a strong fighting force.

I’d still give it another week to clean up though, it’ll be carnage in there! 😂

I’ve used Cal ale yeast a few times over the last few months. Haven’t noticed how lively it is, but I don’t really bother checking sg anymore.
One thing I have noticed is it is difficult to clear.

Thanks everyone.
Looks like simple maths, low OG and lots of yeast. It wasn't an explosive fermentation, just steady bubbling, that started around 6-7 hrs after pitching and ceased after 48hrs.

I'll let it rest a few more days and post results when it's done. An experimental brew really, not sure what to expect...
Cheers... 🙂

Back