can you ferment wine in a beer keg?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dazlerisepic

Reaction score
I have tried a wilko 6 bottle starter kit and it tasted great but demijohns take up lots of room and a 23 litre one seems hard to source on the used market so I was wondering can you ferment wine in a beer keg?

I think you may have a problem with flavours coming out of the wood into your fermenting wine but may be wrong.

I use one of these i think it was around £10. (25 litre)

Home-Brew-Fermenting-Bin-25ltr.jpg

so you are fermenting in a bucket, does it have an airlock or do you just use the bucket and then bottle?

Mine has a hole for an airlock (see black grommet in the lid) but some don't, if you get one without a grommet and are not bothered about an airlock do as some members do by laying the lid on the FV without snapping it down.

I ferment in the bucket them Syphon to bottles from it.

so you are fermenting in a bucket, does it have an airlock or do you just use the bucket and then bottle?
Hi!
The lids on my buckets are not partucularly airtight, so I ditched the airlocks as they were unnecessary. I lay the lid on loosely to protect the contents from stray particles. The CO2 blanket that forms on top of your wine will protect it from airborne infection.

As above I ferment wine (& beer) in the usual plastic buckets above. Bought a second set for wine though as I didn't like the thought of flavours being imparted from/to wine/beer. Fruity beer is one thing but beery wine I'm not so sure.

The buckets don't cost much anyway.

If you have a plastic FV with an airlock in the lid and want to see bubbles, place strips of cling film across the rim of the bin and it will effectively seal the joint between the lid and the bin. I use four strips across my 23 litre bins. I don't bother to fiddle about sanitising the cling film straight off the roll and have not had any problems. I usually do this when the primary has died down so that I can see when the bubble rate died off , and can therefore make an accurate estimation of how much longer I need before packaging or starting a dry hop.

Back