Can you lager a lager kit?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kyral210

Brewing like a mad scientist
Reaction score
If I buy a decent lager can kit, and use lager yeast, is there any benefit to lagering the lager post fermentation?

My idea is start the brew 2c below starting temp, rise over first day, rise by 5c on the 4th day, ferment another 10 days, rack to second fermenter, reduce temp 1c per day for 10 days, and then store for X days.

Is it worth it with a can kit like Festival New Zealand Lager?

Sure, why wouldn't there be? The kit just makes the wort. So femermenting it correctly and lagering it is still important if you want it to taste clean like a proper lager.

I thought there may be a difference between all grain and kit lager that affects the temperature cycle’s efficientivity

When I used to brew kits, I did the Cooper's European Lager kit in a part of my parents house that was a steady 12°C (big old farmhouse). I then bottled it, carbed it up at normal room temps, then put it in the old slaughter house on the farm, that was always cold. That was the winter of 2010 IIRC, and it was blooming cold, but it sat out there for a couple of months and it was absolutely fantastic.

So I would say it is worth lagering kit, but perhaps you will get better results with a kit that uses a proper low temp lager yeast, such as the Cooper's European Lager, rather than one that just uses a normal ale yeast.

Sure you can. But you can lager an ale yeast also, think Kolsch or Altbier. Both are top fermenting ale yeasts fermented and conditioned at low temps. Both fit the taste of lagers

I’ve never brewed a coopers because they feel low end. Can anyone recommend a premium lager kit?

I have done a fake lager using US05 (okay this was AG) but you can use a decent yeast and lager in the bottle lovely and crisp.

SO if proper yeast isn;t doable use us05 or notty and ferment 17 ish if you can

My dad used to brew kits.

Admittedly some years ago,The beers were great at least as good as what was served in the pubs at the time.
The lagers however were barely drinkable.

It would not have been so bad but he only brewed the lager in the first place for me.
I could only drink it by making lager shandy with it.
It was even properly cold lagered.

My dad used to brew kits.

Admittedly some years ago,The beers were great at least as good as what was served in the pubs at the time.
The lagers however were barely drinkable.

It would not have been so bad but he only brewed the lager in the first place for me.
I could only drink it by making lager shandy with it.
It was even properly cold lagered.
Was the temperature controlled during fermentation?

Back