Can Youngs Campden Tablets Make Clear Wine Hazy?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WinBase

Reaction score
After researching why my crystal clear strawberry wine became hazy after i adding potassium sorbate/campden/sweetener, (recent post) i came across a few articles where people say that using campden tablets instead of pure powdered sodium metabisulphite may be the cause (especially youngs tablets) in some kinds of fruit wine, possibly because of additional agents in the tablet, wheras a 1/16th teaspoon of powdered sodMet is = 1 campden tablet for 1 gallon, and with this you wont have any clarity issues. It *appears* i wrongly assumed it was the sorbate causing the issue, but does anyone have any thoughts on this? and what do you use just prior to bottling. thanks.

i use one crushed campden tablet per gallon 24 hours before bottling and have never encountered any clarity problems as a result of doing so.

Some winemakers swear that the binding agents (starch) in campden tablets can cause a haze.
And therefore use the pure chemical.

Some winemakers swear that the binding agents (starch) in campden tablets can cause a haze.
And therefore use the pure chemical.

thanks for the reply.

I have just bought some SodMet and a measuring spoon that gives 1/16th teaspoon, (as seems to be the recommended dosage for pure powder) and will use instead of campdens in future to see how it goes - £1.25 for 100g for will go a long way lol. I'm also going to be adding fermentation stopper sooner for wines i know will need to have some back sweetening, rather than just before i add the syrup.

Whilst campden is convenient buying the pure chemical is a LOT cheaper even at full retail price.
Word of warning, if you do buy it, do not inhale pure sodium metabisulphite. I made the mistake of taking a big whiff yesterday to check if it smelt musty (I left it in the damp), it sent burning hot particles into my lungs and sent me into a 5 minute coughing fit! Lesson learnt.

Some people mix citric acid to supercharge sulphite.Whilst it works the fumes can be horrendous.
Defiantly not to be inhaled either.

Some people mix citric acid to supercharge sulphite.Whilst it works the fumes can be horrendous.
Defiantly not to be inhaled either.

I once sniffed the campden tablets when i opened them, i will not be doing that again any time soon.

If you suffer from asthma keep your face well away when you open the tub.

Latest posts

Back