Cancer latest!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I see on the BBC that, according to Cancer Research UK (CRUK), obesity now causes more cases of the four common cancers than smoking!

What the people at CRUK don't say is that if we keep eliminating the more hazardous elements of life then obviously the cause of death will shift, along with the types of cancer that may cause such fatalities.

In my lifetime we have:
  • Discovered and eliminated human exposure to most of the really hazardous substances. (e.g. asbestos, polyvinyl monomers, benzene etc)
  • Discovered the dangers and modified our behaviour towards some of the more common hazards. (e.g. exposure to UV light, tobacco, alcohol, salt, sugar etc.)
Personally, I've had a cousin die from skin cancer, two mates who have had to have melanoma cancers cut out of their backs and I have just ended a course of Efudix to sort out some "sun damage". No-one told us that getting a tan could be hazardous and I apparently incurred the sun damage as a lad swimming in an open-air pool and as an adult working in some of the sunniest places on earth.

My objection is that the various experts always fail to point out that human life is a finite thing, that everyone will die of something and no-one will live forever no matter how much they try!

The photograph is me today looking happy that the Efudix course has ended and now all I have to do is to wait for the improvement to kick in and make me handsome; for the first time ever!

Enjoy!

IMG_1298.jpg

That looks painful, did you have a reaction to some meds?

Unfortunately, "No!" it's supposed to do that.

The theory is that the Efudix Cream kills off the damaged cells but leaves healthy cells behind; and the body regrows healthy cells in place of the dead ones.

In view of my work and travel history, I think I have got off very lightly compared to some people. Please check out ...

https://www.self.com/story/photos-skin-precancer-treatment

... and I can guarantee that you will never sun-bathe or go out without sun-cream ever again!

Is it painful? At times I've felt like scratching my face off but otherwise (true this) it only hurts when I laugh and my skin moves about!
Luckily, I'm not particularly fond of laughing! :cheers3: :cheers3:

Efudix is a marvellous treatment. A lot of my patients have had great results with it and although the process and its various side effects are not the nicest, it's definitely one of the less intrusive treatments out there.

Thanks for that. athumb..

A mate of mine tells me that some ladies spend many £££££'s to get the result that should come my way in another three weeks or so!

I live in hope more than expectation! clapa

Yep. Salicylic acid chemical peels to "rejuvenate" the skin. Plenty of men do it too.

Get well soon @Dutto, I think the aftershave was Brut, I think Kevin Keegan advertised with him, Boy Oh Boy a hell of a long time ago.

Being the whitest boy on the beach I avoid the sun at all costs.

Me too. It's horrible, why anyone would want to bake in the glare of a controlled hydrogen bomb is beyond me. Roll on October. Mind you, cigs are great. It's 2019 and I can't be arsed to get washed, let alone use aftershave. Real men ( ie me ) smell of beer, tobacco, sweat, engine oil and testosterone. The burds love it. All the best, Dutto.

The theory is that the Efudix Crdue to eam kills off the damaged cells but leaves healthy cells behind; and the body regrows healthy cells in place of the dead ones.
Hope it works for you. athumb..
I've used Efudix on a three or four small patches on my forehead and it worked. However when I used it for similar on my right forearm it didn't work and the patches returned.
I remember reading sometime back that Australians have more abnormal skin growths on their right forearms which was attributed to them driving with their arms resting on an open vehicle window where the sun could do its worst. Mine may be the same since I have nothing on my left arm.

Last edited:
You look like a medieval plague victim. Get well soon.

I was listening on the radio (R4) this morning about this story. Despite the fact this is a charity warning of the dangers of being obese, they've been accused of 'fat shaming' for trying to get the message out there. Wtf!! Imo Obsesity has now become normalised. People dont care how fat they grow, there's no social pressure not to do it. The amount of people in London I see waddling along, weighing about 3 times as much as I do, is a disgrace

I see on the BBC that, according to Cancer Research UK (CRUK), obesity now causes more cases of the four common cancers than smoking!

What the people at CRUK don't say is that if we keep eliminating the more hazardous elements of life then obviously the cause of death will shift, along with the types of cancer that may cause such fatalities.

In my lifetime we have:
  • Discovered and eliminated human exposure to most of the really hazardous substances. (e.g. asbestos, polyvinyl monomers, benzene etc)
  • Discovered the dangers and modified our behaviour towards some of the more common hazards. (e.g. exposure to UV light, tobacco, alcohol, salt, sugar etc.)
Personally, I've had a cousin die from skin cancer, two mates who have had to have melanoma cancers cut out of their backs and I have just ended a course of Efudix to sort out some "sun damage". No-one told us that getting a tan could be hazardous and I apparently incurred the sun damage as a lad swimming in an open-air pool and as an adult working in some of the sunniest places on earth.

My objection is that the various experts always fail to point out that human life is a finite thing, that everyone will die of something and no-one will live forever no matter how much they try!

The photograph is me today looking happy that the Efudix course has ended and now all I have to do is to wait for the improvement to kick in and make me handsome; for the first time ever!

Enjoy!

View attachment 19627
Well done Dutto, everyone should be aware of the exposure to the sun and skin cancer I live in Australia and am well aware of skin cancer one large BBC cut out but my main cancer which folk may not be aware of is stomach and oesophagus cancer. I was never warned that eating late night curries could be bad for my health. But lying in bed and getting acid re flux damaged a cell and resulted in stomach cancer. Determined to beat it I started having chemotherapy, the Rolls Royce of chemotherapy I was told. No one who hasn't had chemo can understand the suffering that undergoing chemotherapy can bring. The cancer initially reduced by 50% but that was only short lived, it survived and grew, even aggressive radio therapy combined with chemotherapy failed to halt the cancer. I eventually got neutropaenic fever due to the chemotherapy and decided to halt the process, I opted for immunotherapy went on a drug called Keytruda after 1 week could feel a difference and I will say at the time I had dropped from light heavyweight to welterweight. That was 5 years ago I have had biopsy's taken where the cancer was and now there is nothing bar the scar tissue. The oncologists are stumped as to why it worked, in the Asia Pacific region over 11,000 of us went on the trial and there are only 1% of us left. Why did it work on me could just be a fluke, I had read about immunotherapy and I REALLY believed in it, the human mind is a
powerful tool, I suppose that is why placebos work in some cases.

On a lighter side I also came from a north Derbyshire mining village, it may be a joke or may be true when one of the lads went into Big Cyril's barbers shop and asked for his hair to be cut like Elvis Presley he got a short back and sides, tears in his eyes he said Elvis Presley doesn't have his hair cut like that, Big Cyril replied, 'He would if he come in here'

Many thanks for all the input. At the moment I am staying indoors and brewing (please see my Brew Thread) rather than going outside and scaring any passing child!

I loved the "short back and sides" joke. I always wanted a "Tony Curtis" but the only difference that I could see was that the hair on my neck was cut square just above the collar rather than shaved up to the curve if the skull. I think it was called a "Boston Cut" and the first time I had it done my brother (who had recently completed his National Service) asked me "Am I hurting you?" I said "No. Why?" and got the answer "Because I thought I was standing on your hair!"

Get well soon @Dutto, I think the aftershave was Brut, I think Kevin Keegan advertised with him, Boy Oh Boy a hell of a long time ago.

I stand corrected. Henry used to encourage people to "Splash it on!" but at the price Brut were charging I used as if it was a Chanel perfume.

Good luck Dutto- hope all turns out well.
A friend has just been through a course of sun damage treatment and all looking good for him so here hoping for you

Good luck Dutto- hope all turns out well.
A friend has just been through a course of sun damage treatment and all looking good for him so here hoping for you

Speedy recovery Mr Dutto

Cheers Tom
Thanks for the replies!

It’s now over three years since I had the cancer removed and a lot of things have happened in those three years:
  1. The scar healed and I’m as pretty as ever! :coat:
  2. I had a new left hip fitted and then broke my thigh between the new hip and a previous new knee! (Called a “periprosthetic fracture”.)
  3. The repair took nearly two years to heal sufficiently so that the Surgeon allowed me to “weight bear”.
  4. I avoided Covid but developed two slow growing “rodent ulcers” (aka Basal Cell Carcinoma) that have yet to be treated. (NHS in this area is stretched to the limit!)
  5. Now back to brewing Kits!
All go eh!

Again, many thanks!
athumb..

Latest posts

Back