Canning Thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How much are the cans over there? They are a ridiculous price here.

Good way to test the can seam is to put a can in hot water and heat it up. That will increase the pressure and you will see any leaks.

I'm sticking with the counter pressure bottle filler, it's a little more versatile. Although might order the kit for a 3d printed setup using the standard rollers for the occasional " show off can " .

How much are the cans over there? They are a ridiculous price here.

Good way to test the can seam is to put a can in hot water and heat it up. That will increase the pressure and you will see any leaks.

I'm sticking with the counter pressure bottle filler, it's a little more versatile. Although might order the kit for a 3d printed setup using the standard rollers for the occasional " show off can " .
Good call on the hot water test, I'll try that. Geterbrewed have them at £5.95 for 24 with lids, they are available a lot cheaper in larger quantities but I wanted to try them out first so did order some from them.

I've just ordered myself a Duofiller for canning to see if it makes the process any easier. Seen some good reviews online and some good videos on youtube so thought I would give it a go!

I never get round to finishing a corny keg before I have another beer ready to go into it. I'm looking at trying to perfect pilsners this year as I have a few lager drinkers in the family to try to satisfy. With extended lagering taking up space in the kegs I will probably be canning a fair bit more.

Ill try to get an update on here once I have it set up and in use.

https://duofiller.com/

Oops …. I found a really good bargain on gumtree for a steel prep table - just needed to pick it up - Simples she thought 🫢 Turned up in my OH’s ‘Big’ Mini, which turned out to be not even remotely big enough.

A very helpful guy watched me look between the boot of the car and the ever so slightly large steel counter that I just picked up - (well laughed at me) saying it ain’t gonna fit lass. Turned out, he was very helpful indeed and owned the bar next to where I’d parked and agreed to keep it in the beer garden for few days it would take for me to arrange collection.

The man with a van has taken a week to get it here, and it is indeed “rather large“😱. I am though suspicious, that the OH has hardly complained at all about how much space it’s taking up in the garage I’m just wondering what will be the reciprocal ask.

it makes a nice place for the canner - particularly once the bikes are moved into the back shed. It’s so nice I am very tempted to use this for meal prep - I’ve twice at least the usable counter space compared to the kitchen 😍.
A x
82821E8C-705F-449A-B219-1D01343C5EFC.jpeg

Last edited:
Oops …. I found a really good bargain on gumtree for a steel prep table - just needed to pick it up - Simples she thought 🫢 Turned up in my OH’s ‘Big’ Mini, which turned out to be not even remotely big enough.

A very helpful guy watched me look between the boot of the car and the ever so slightly large steel counter that I just picked up - (well laughed at me) saying it ain’t gonna fit lass. Turned out, he was very helpful indeed and owned the bar next to where I’d parked and agreed to keep it in the beer garden for few days it would take for me to arrange collection.

The man with a van has taken a week to get it here, and it is indeed “rather large“😱. I am though suspicious, that the OH has hardly complained at all about how much space it’s taking up in the garage I’m just wondering what will be the reciprocal ask.

it makes a nice place for the canner - particularly once the bikes are moved into the back shed. It’s so nice I am very tempted to use this for meal prep - I’ve twice at least the usable counter space compared to the kitchen 😍.
A xView attachment 68572

That's an absolute beaut Anna. It's quite a lovely thing having spouses that are accepting/enablers.

I've just ordered myself a Duofiller for canning to see if it makes the process any easier. Seen some good reviews online and some good videos on youtube so thought I would give it a go!

I never get round to finishing a corny keg before I have another beer ready to go into it. I'm looking at trying to perfect pilsners this year as I have a few lager drinkers in the family to try to satisfy. With extended lagering taking up space in the kegs I will probably be canning a fair bit more.

Ill try to get an update on here once I have it set up and in use.

https://duofiller.com/

I had a look at this and it just seemed oddly expensive and didn't have any means of suppressing foam. I'll be interested to see how well it works for you. So far my experience has been that cooling the beer to -3 C works v well to suppress foam.

I had a look at this and it just seemed oddly expensive and didn't have any means of suppressing foam. I'll be interested to see how well it works for you. So far my experience has been that cooling the beer to -3 C works v well to suppress foam.

They recommend you cool beer to about 0.5-1°C which I do anyway for canning and you actually increase the pressure to above carbonation levels when canning. The excess pressure helps reduce foaming. Also it takes about 30+ seconds to fill each can so its super slow to reduce foaming. I will get it set up as soon as I have beer ready and report back here how it goes!

I am looking to experiment with canning and the Cannular on sale at BKT has caught my eye. How are those of you that have taken the plunge into canning getting on with it - and how does the packaging experience compare with bottling? I am particularly keen to know how the CO2 purge is working out as I will want to can NEIPAs and want to avoid oxygen ingress as far as possible

Its ok. You have to work had to keep the 02 out. Its a bit of a learning curve. I was using a bottling want and to be Frank its totally shi te. I'm saving for a duo filler.

You need some foam to suppress O2 so don't work too hard to suppress it.

Doesn't the Cannular require bespoke cans rather than the standard cans? I think this is the case and always put me off the idea of that particular product.

Doesn't the Cannular require bespoke cans rather than the standard cans? I think this is the case and always put me off the idea of that particular product.
That is what I am not sure of - it looks like you can get a chuck to accept std cans

So long as you purchase the UK can chuck - which was prefitted on mine, then it just uses the standard cans.

Calibrating it is a right royal pita, but I've done it twice now and I'm sort of getting used to it. I think I was unlucky because mine wasn't calibrated properly when supplied, and I think my first calibration was too quick before it had settled where I was keeping it.
I am looking to experiment with canning and the Cannular on sale at BKT has caught my eye. How are those of you that have taken the plunge into canning getting on with it - and how does the packaging experience compare with bottling? I am particularly keen to know how the CO2 purge is working out as I will want to can NEIPAs and want to avoid oxygen ingress as far as possible
If you keep the beer really cold it works fine, I try to chill to 0 deg for canning, and have managed well with canning heavily hopped beers by filling to the brim, and capping not just on foam but on liquid. I use a piece of the packaging polyurethane foam that came with it as a screen to ensure I'm not covered with the liquid on canning - works easier, quicker and cheaper than the splash guard.

A

So, I bit the bullet and got myself a semi-automatic Cannular. No amount of video watching or manual reading prepared me for the pain and frustration of setting it up. I also got some odd looks when in the supermarket inspecting can seals on various beers! After about 20 cans of trial and error, methodically adjusting table height and roller positions and examining the effect, I have finally got to a point where I can get a leak free consistent seal. It was an iterative process that went from major leaks, to pinhole leaks and eventually what I think is a good seal.
WIN_20221023_15_28_42_Pro.jpg

WIN_20221023_15_15_49_Pro.jpg

Latest posts

Back