Canning Thread

Help Support The HomeBrew Forum:

RoomWithABrew

Landlord.
Reaction score
How much are the cans over there? They are a ridiculous price here.

Good way to test the can seam is to put a can in hot water and heat it up. That will increase the pressure and you will see any leaks.

I'm sticking with the counter pressure bottle filler, it's a little more versatile. Although might order the kit for a 3d printed setup using the standard rollers for the occasional " show off can " .

DocAnna

Scottish Brewster
Reaction score
How much are the cans over there? They are a ridiculous price here.

Good way to test the can seam is to put a can in hot water and heat it up. That will increase the pressure and you will see any leaks.

I'm sticking with the counter pressure bottle filler, it's a little more versatile. Although might order the kit for a 3d printed setup using the standard rollers for the occasional " show off can " .
Good call on the hot water test, I'll try that. Geterbrewed have them at £5.95 for 24 with lids, they are available a lot cheaper in larger quantities but I wanted to try them out first so did order some from them.

Paul7189

Regular.
Reaction score
I've just ordered myself a Duofiller for canning to see if it makes the process any easier. Seen some good reviews online and some good videos on youtube so thought I would give it a go!

I never get round to finishing a corny keg before I have another beer ready to go into it. I'm looking at trying to perfect pilsners this year as I have a few lager drinkers in the family to try to satisfy. With extended lagering taking up space in the kegs I will probably be canning a fair bit more.

Ill try to get an update on here once I have it set up and in use.

DocAnna

Scottish Brewster
Reaction score
Oops …. I found a really good bargain on gumtree for a steel prep table - just needed to pick it up - Simples she thought 🫢 Turned up in my OH’s ‘Big’ Mini, which turned out to be not even remotely big enough.

A very helpful guy watched me look between the boot of the car and the ever so slightly large steel counter that I just picked up - (well laughed at me) saying it ain’t gonna fit lass. Turned out, he was very helpful indeed and owned the bar next to where I’d parked and agreed to keep it in the beer garden for few days it would take for me to arrange collection.

The man with a van has taken a week to get it here, and it is indeed “rather large“😱. I am though suspicious, that the OH has hardly complained at all about how much space it’s taking up in the garage I’m just wondering what will be the reciprocal ask.

it makes a nice place for the canner - particularly once the bikes are moved into the back shed. It’s so nice I am very tempted to use this for meal prep - I’ve twice at least the usable counter space compared to the kitchen 😍.
A x
82821E8C-705F-449A-B219-1D01343C5EFC.jpeg

Last edited:

Brew_DD2

Mint Choc Chipster
Reaction score
Oops …. I found a really good bargain on gumtree for a steel prep table - just needed to pick it up - Simples she thought 🫢 Turned up in my OH’s ‘Big’ Mini, which turned out to be not even remotely big enough.

A very helpful guy watched me look between the boot of the car and the ever so slightly large steel counter that I just picked up - (well laughed at me) saying it ain’t gonna fit lass. Turned out, he was very helpful indeed and owned the bar next to where I’d parked and agreed to keep it in the beer garden for few days it would take for me to arrange collection.

The man with a van has taken a week to get it here, and it is indeed “rather large“😱. I am though suspicious, that the OH has hardly complained at all about how much space it’s taking up in the garage I’m just wondering what will be the reciprocal ask.

it makes a nice place for the canner - particularly once the bikes are moved into the back shed. It’s so nice I am very tempted to use this for meal prep - I’ve twice at least the usable counter space compared to the kitchen 😍.
A xView attachment 68572

That's an absolute beaut Anna. It's quite a lovely thing having spouses that are accepting/enablers.

DocAnna

Scottish Brewster
Reaction score
I've just ordered myself a Duofiller for canning to see if it makes the process any easier. Seen some good reviews online and some good videos on youtube so thought I would give it a go!

I never get round to finishing a corny keg before I have another beer ready to go into it. I'm looking at trying to perfect pilsners this year as I have a few lager drinkers in the family to try to satisfy. With extended lagering taking up space in the kegs I will probably be canning a fair bit more.

Ill try to get an update on here once I have it set up and in use.

I had a look at this and it just seemed oddly expensive and didn't have any means of suppressing foam. I'll be interested to see how well it works for you. So far my experience has been that cooling the beer to -3 C works v well to suppress foam.

Paul7189

Regular.
Reaction score
I had a look at this and it just seemed oddly expensive and didn't have any means of suppressing foam. I'll be interested to see how well it works for you. So far my experience has been that cooling the beer to -3 C works v well to suppress foam.

They recommend you cool beer to about 0.5-1°C which I do anyway for canning and you actually increase the pressure to above carbonation levels when canning. The excess pressure helps reduce foaming. Also it takes about 30+ seconds to fill each can so its super slow to reduce foaming. I will get it set up as soon as I have beer ready and report back here how it goes!

Latest posts