Can't be right, surely?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hi all

Been putting off a brew day due to the warm spell we're having.
Just read the spec on US-05 as listed on the fermentis website, 18-28c recommend fermentation temp? I take it that's just them saying it will ferment as high as 28c but don't expect to enjoy drinking the beer it makes? Has anyone used it that high? Might have to dig out a trug and plant the f/v in there as my beer fridge has got my kegs in it.

https://fermentis.com/en/product/safale-us-05/
Cheers Tom

I pitched some US-05 today. It's pretty warm! In fact, I only had half a packet, I belatedly discovered, so I had to make do with that.

Honestly, I think it will be fine.

Tough call, isn’t it? I‘m leaning the other way, as my experience to date is that the Cornies won‘t come to much harm at room temp whereas an overheated FV is something I’d rather avoid

Problem is that my beer fridge/freezer is upstairs. I don't mind carrying a full sealed corny up a flight of stairs but not a plastic fermentation bucket 😱

Cheers Tom

I read a few days ago on one of the American forums that it's a mistake on the website, which they've acknowledged, but it hasn't been corrected. Apparently the French and Spanish versions say 15-20C. But their technical datasheet says 18 to 26, I believe. In my head it's a 15 to 25C yeast, which I have tended to use in the middle of that range, 18 to 22 ish.

I've used it recently and it seems ok.
The pitching instructions state to add to wort at 25 to 29C (granted, pitching temp isn't the same as fermentation temp)

Latest posts

Back