Can't mash for 8 weeks so kit time....

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobukbrewer

Landlord.
Reaction score
I have purchased a selection of Coopers kits. The plan is to make them up to only 13 litres, with no sugar or DME addition. UNLESS you knowledgeable people have a better plan. Posted here rather than the kit forum as I want full mash quality...

I doubt they will be too bitter! I doubled up one can kits a few times and none of them were.
You won't get full mash quality from a kit and the closest approximation from my experience is to do a smaller mash and add that.

Not an expert on kits as always been AG, but did two Woodford Bure Gold Kits as an experiment recently and they turned out really well, very drinkable.
I preferred the one I pimped using second running from a mash as it was more ale like, the other more citrussy so not sure if it was the supplied dry hop or yeast that gave those flavours, but I suspect it was the hops.

I would be tempted to do a kit exactly as they recommend and another with a yeast you are used to and choose your own dry hop additions, I brew a Speckled Hen clone which has a large Lme addition which I was surprised about, but I think it's superb, so I wouldn't be too put off using Lme in kits.

Most people brew most kits short to say 19Ltrs so yes at 13Ltrs they will be a little more taste and bitterness to them but unless you are really sensitive to IBU's they should be ok.
Go for it better to brew than not athumb..

thanks all - it is a short term thing - back to mashing asap - I thought a kit says add 1 kg sudar / dme - so reduce length by a third and no addition - ~I like hops - may add 10 and 20 % water to some bottles as an experimenrt.

Back