Can't work out if it's infected, still tastes fine.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Manitude

Reaction score
Apologies for two threads in an hour!
I only just noticed this when opening the FV to take a hydrometer reading:
ff5nxi.jpg

ehy8op.jpg

It doesn't smell particularly bad. I took a sample and tasted it and it seems OK, if very yeasty. I've paid good money for worse in pubs. There are white bits floating on the surface which are pretty alarming* although I don't quite know what to expect from a young beer as this is my first AG. I googled "infected beer" and there's a few pictures that look similar with some people saying it's fine and others saying never use the FV again.

Given that it tastes OK, is it still salvageable? It would be a great shame for all my effort to end up with a hole in my wallet and no beer to show for it!

EDIT: * Now that I think about it, these white bits could be undissolved campden tablet. I had to delay pitching the yeast for a couple of days while I moved house so put a few tablets in to hold off any infections before the yeast took hold.

Thanks, it's good to be reassured that I haven't messed everything up!
From the small sample I have I am quite pleased with the results so far. It will need fining, conditioning and carbonation, but it's definitely got the right kinds of flavours which is encouraging. It's really quite magical that some grains and hops a few weeks ago are now something that resembles beer!

31bb3 said:
How long did you leave it in the FV
It's been in there two and a half weeks, longer than it should, although I checked the SG not that long ago and it was around 1.020. It's about 1.010 now which is pretty much where I want it to be.

I'm careful not to open the lid too much while fermenting. When I do then of course everything that touches the beer is sterilised and I only have the lid off for the minimum possible time.

How much longer would you recommend?
I was planning to rack it and then add finings tomorrow and bottle in the middle of next week.

Personally, I do one week in primary, then one week or more in secondary - with finings in the final few days.

I've had some amazing transformations, just by being a little patient and waiting a bit longer......

That don't look right to me.

Not sure it's infected but dont look right. If it tastes ok and it doesnt upset ur stomach get it supped.

Latest posts

Back