Capping sanatized bottles

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Libigage

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi All
Bottling my first brew today on my day off but the problem I have is my next brew is due to be bottled next week when I am back at work. Is it safe to sanatized bottles then cap them to save time for my 2nd brew. This way when I finish work I only have to uncap and fill. If so how long can I leave them capped?
Cheers

For even no rinse sanitiser to be effective the surface has to be wet for a couple of minutes..then drained off. It might be ok but I wouldn't chance it
My latest thing is to properly scrub and clean the bottles I need and drain them on the bottle tree the night before. It then only takes minutes to sanitise them all with starsan and a bottle rinser and put them back on the tree.

While it's true that the longer the bottles sit empty and unused there is more chance of them becoming unsanitary, leaving a couple of days shouldn't be a problem. This depends on how well you clean and sanitise the bottles in the first place.
If you cap and leave a little no-rinse sanitiser in the bottle, you may give the sanitiser a quick swirl in the bottle before with the cap on before bottling.

If these are bottles with a swing top or screw cap, this is fine. However, with crown caps I sometimes have trouble getting a good seal when reusing caps.

Oven them?
Aye, like MyQul says. Doing it that way before I got starsan removed 2 steps in the bottling day as I'd

Wash, swill, sanitise, swill. With the oven I would wash, swill and then do the oven thing and then when they were cool enough just doing the bottling next to the cooker and pull them out one at a time.

When you drink your beers swill and press the cap back on if you're storing them somewhere cruddy as I'd get slugs and various beasts in my bottles.

Yes. I santise my bottles by putting them into a cold oven then turning it on to 150C and leaving them for 40ish mins. I then turn the oven off and leave them to cool. Then put a little clingfilm cap before storing away
I take it you mean 40 minutes from when the oven reaches 150°C?

Although I keg most of what I brew, there are always a few bottles at the end of every brew. This is my bottling regime:

Wash bottles after drinking contents
Rinse bottles under cold tap
Stick bottles in dishwasher on hot cycle overnight (with any dishes that need doing)
Spray inside each bottle with atomiser of Starsan
Cover bottle opening with foil (sprayed with Starsan)
Leave bottles in brewery (garage) until needed - could be months
Fill bottles and crown cap

Not had an ‘off’ bottle in five years of brewing

Yep, I empty a bottle into a glass and immediately empty, rinse and leave it full of hot soapy water. At the end of the night or the next morning ill give it a quick scrub with a bottle brush and rinse THOROUGHLY three times. Good squirt of starsan made with RO water and wrap a square of foil tightly over the top. Give it several good shakes for the next few minutes then it goes into storage till its needed. When I come to use the bottles I just give it another good shake, dump the starsan, purge with CO2, quick spray of starsan on the neck and inside the new cap, fill and cap.

All my brewing glassware is stored with starsan in and capped with foil. If its a flask for a starter the foil gets reused for this purpose then replaced after washing.

As I understand it, starsan made up with RO/distilled water shouldn't loose its effectiveness for a while. So far, no problems.

Yes. I santise my bottles by putting them into a cold oven then turning it on to 150C and leaving them for 40ish mins. I then turn the oven off and leave them to cool. Then put a little clingfilm cap before storing away
I sanitise in a 110c oven for about 5 to 10 minutes. Doesn't seem to bother the bottles doing more batches while the oven's still hot. I'd go hotter but if I do the bottles tend to slide all over the place when I put them out on the draining board. Which is weird.

I sanitise in a 110c oven for about 5 to 10 minutes. Doesn't seem to bother the bottles doing more batches while the oven's still hot. I'd go hotter but if I do the bottles tend to slide all over the place when I put them out on the draining board. Which is weird.

Ive never tried just putting them in when theyre still hot. What I'd be concerned about is, over time repeatedly doing this, would it gradually weaken the strength of the bottles? I like to carb everything I make at lager levels so would worry about bottle bombs. I dont know enough about glass and structural integrity to know whether this is true or not

Latest posts

Back