Car insurance change could mean your policy is invalid

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Car insurance change could mean your policy is invalid - what you need to know

Drivers across the UK are being warned of a change to their car insurance starting from the end of April.

The move could make your cover invalid if you don’t know about the new change.

Measures put in place to protect drivers amid the coronavirus pandemic will end on April 30, GoCompare has warned.

The news comes as the Association of British Insurers (ABI) made similar warnings.

At the height of the pandemic when the country was first hit by the first wave of Covid-19 infections in the spring of 2020, temporary measures were introduced to protect drivers.

The measures supported drivers who were forced to drive into work during lockdown, when they would have used another method of travel before.

Ryan Fulthorpe, motoring expert at GoCompare, said: “To reflect changes in driving behaviour as commuting and driving between different workplaces starts to pick-up, insurers have reviewed their
position.

"From May, drivers who insured their car only for social, domestic or pleasure purposes, but following the pandemic now use their car to travel to work, will have to upgrade their cover.

"Following the end of insurers’ pledges to automatically extend cover during lockdown, it’s essential that drivers make sure their car insurance covers them for their new normal usage.

"If a motorist fails to declare that they drive to work, or drive as part of their work, this could invalidate their insurance and, driving without insurance carries severe penalties."

He added: “So, if you've started driving to work since the pandemic and you are unsure whether you're covered, the best thing to do is to contact your insurer immediately so your policy can be updated if necessary."

Car insurance change could mean your policy is invalid - what you need to know | The Mail (nwemail.co.uk)

This is so worth considering - the risk just isn't worth it. Note as well that a lot of people don't realise that if you are asked to visit another office or drive anyway else for work at all, that your commuting insurance won't cover you. As that only covers from your home to your normal contracted place of work. I was asked to interview some people at another office, and to do that I then needed business cover. Didn't cost much to add, but if I didn't upgrade and had an accident then I could have found myself not covered. If you boss asks you to pick something up in your car, the same applies.

"If a motorist fails to declare that they drive to work, or drive as part of their work, this could invalidate their insurance and, driving without insurance carries severe penalties."
AFAIK; you will still be covered in the eyes of the law as your insurance company will still honour the 3rd Party. However if you have failed to comply with the T&C's and your insurance policy, they would be at liberty to pursue the policy holder to recoup their losses. If the claim involved injury to the 3rd party damages could easily be hundreds of thousands - that could be your house and pension pot gone....

Car insurance companies are modern day pirates.
totally agree, possibly extend that to insurance in general

Everybody that owns a car will drive to work and have done so for decades.
Some companies even provide named parking spaces.
The world is going MAD.

They knew this when they added commuting to their policies, I drive 15 mins to work we all park in an off road car park yet I have to pay more as I have to add commute to my cover yet someone who takes their kids to school every day and parks outside their house on a main road where there is far more risk of the car being hit pays less, as you say the world has gone mad.

Latest posts

Back