Car sales.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think leasing might be a good option while things are developing as if it goes wrong they fix it...unless they class the battery degredation as wear and tear...but then you'd tell them to shove it!

I think leasing might be a good option while things are developing as if it goes wrong they fix it...unless they class the battery degredation as wear and tear...but then you'd tell them to shove it!
The Tesla Model 3 batteries come with a 4 year or 50,000 mile warranty so, on a four year lease and less than 12,000 a year they will be someone else’s problem when the warranty ends.

Just ordered a Skoda Enyaq, lovely car with all the room I need for the family. An achievable 330 mile range and with the facility to fast charge. I always said as soon as an affordable good sized EV hit the market with decent range I would go electric.

View attachment 55253
Hi,
I’ve just ordered an Enyaq 80. I’m looking forward to not shelling out at the petrol station every week.
I was wondering how you have got on with yours.

Hi,
I’ve just ordered an Enyaq 80. I’m looking forward to not shelling out at the petrol station every week.
I was wondering how you have got on with yours.
Hi there, I'll start my reply by saying I no longer own the car, I only kept it for 6 months so you can probably see where this is going!! The good first though, charging at home is great, I had an EV tariff which meant I could get a full charge for about £8, the range was OK best I got was just over 300 miles that was however doing an average of about 55-60 mph. Car was lovely looks wise, I had it in Arctic Silver with the leather interior and it was a really nice place to be, very spacious and a huge boot made it very practical.
I will preface the following with I had a first generation car and they may well have tweaked it since I sold mine. The car is almost completely controlled from the touch screen and this is where it falls down massively, the screen lag was awful, you would push icons and nothing would happen then you would push again and the screen would double or triple jump, trying to control the air con, de misting etc was at times impossible which is far from ideal whilst driving. The screen had a wonderful feature whereby it would just shut down so you couldn't control anything and you had to pull over and turn the car on and off again and then wait 5 minutes for the system to re boot. The reversing camera failed after a week which they couldn't fix( I'll come back to that), at random times the car refused to pair with my home and external charging points. Basically the software which ran the car was awful and just not fit for purpose and at times it was virtually undriveable. However the straw which broke the camels back were the safety systems, the lane assist was awful anytime it saw a white line it would completely confuse the car and it would would start battling you via the steering wheel, yes you can turn it off but guess what it turns itself back on everytime you restart the car. The collision avoidance had a fit if a car came within 5 feet of you up to the point where on the M6 it nearly killed us when a car pulled in front of us and it threw on the brakes until we came to a stop in the middle lane!! It went back 3 or 4 times and they could never solve any issues and in the end the service manager admitted they hadn't even been trained on how to service or repair Enyaqs. Fortunately second hand prices were still very high and Enyaqs were in demand due to supply issues, I sold mine for £6K more than I paid for it and used that and the equity I had in the car to buy another car. Hopefully they've improved in the year since I sold mine and they've ironed out the numerous bugs they had.

Last edited:
I'm looking at opting back in to the company car scheme and going for a full EV. I go up two car bands by having a zero co2 car, plus 0% BIK for the first year and 1% after means it will cost me about £15 a month in year two and £30 a month in year 3 for a lovely BMW i3 or high spec VW ID3.
But I am tempted by a hybrid Merc e class 300de, as I like estate's which is still very much not there in terms of pure EV. Unfortunately the monthly payments are a 'bit' more...

Sorry class68 - no s#@%ing suv for me. Cannot abide them. Most hateful vehicles ever inflicted on humanity. But I am shocked by how slow car makers are being at offering full EV estates, so I can sort of see why for some there is no option but to go suv, if they need the extra load space.
I had a zafira and kia carens - loved mpv's just as tall but not jacked up and even more space than SUV's

Hi there, I'll start my reply by saying I no longer own the car, I only kept it for 6 months so you can probably see where this is going!! The good first though, charging at home is great, I had an EV tariff which meant I could get a full charge for about £8, the range was OK best I got was just over 300 miles that was however doing an average of about 55-60 mph. Car was lovely looks wise, I had it in Arctic Silver with the leather interior and it was a really nice place to be, very spacious and a huge boot made it very practical.
I will preface the following with I had a first generation car and they may well have tweaked it since I sold mine. The car is almost completely controlled from the touch screen and this is where it falls down massively, the screen lag was awful, you would push icons and nothing would happen then you would push again and the screen would double or triple jump, trying to control the air con, de misting etc was at times impossible which is far from ideal whilst driving. The screen had a wonderful feature whereby it would just shut down so you couldn't control anything and you had to pull over and turn the car on and off again and then wait 5 minutes for the system to re boot. The reversing camera failed after a week which they couldn't fix( I'll come back to that), at random times the car refused to pair with my home and external charging points. Basically the software which ran the car was awful and just not fit for purpose and at times it was virtually undriveable. However the straw which broke the camels back were the safety systems, the lane assist was awful anytime it saw a white line it would completely confuse the car and it would would start battling you via the steering wheel, yes you can turn it off but guess what it turns itself back on everytime you restart the car. The collision avoidance had a fit if a car came within 5 feet of you up to the point where on the M6 it nearly killed us when a car pulled in front of us and it threw on the brakes until we came to a stop in the middle lane!! It went back 3 or 4 times and they could never solve any issues and in the end the service manager admitted they hadn't even been trained on how to service or repair Enyaqs. Fortunately second hand prices were still very high and Enyaqs were in demand due to supply issues, I sold mine for £6K more than I paid for it and used that and the equity I had in the car to buy another car. Hopefully they've improved in the year since I sold mine and they've ironed out the numerous bugs they had.
That’s not a great endorsement, from the few user reviews I been able to find someone else has had similar troubles with theirs but thankfully that was a few years ago and the more recent are better.
Did you stay down the electric route or go back to petrol/diesel?

Have any EV owners renewed their insurance recently? I was in hospital yesterday and the guy opposite me was saying he paid £650 last year for a Mini EV (I thought that was pretty high anyway) but his cheapest renewal this year is £1100! He could be a spoofer but I've heard a few times now that EV insurance premiums are shooting up far higher than ICE cars.

That’s not a great endorsement, from the few user reviews I been able to find someone else has had similar troubles with theirs but thankfully that was a few years ago and the more recent are better.
Did you stay down the electric route or go back to petrol/diesel?
Like I said I'd hope the more recent cars off the production line are better, when I got the car in May 22 it just wasn't ready for market and it was like they were testing it via the public. There is an Enyaq forum which when I used it had lots of very useful information. I went back to diesel mainly as we do a good few long trips per year and the charging infrastructure is just not up to it in this country but that's a different rant. I will go back electric at some point but certainly not for a good few years yet and hopefully things will have improved.

Have any EV owners renewed their insurance recently? I was in hospital yesterday and the guy opposite me was saying he paid £650 last year for a Mini EV (I thought that was pretty high anyway) but his cheapest renewal this year is £1100! He could be a spoofer but I've heard a few times now that EV insurance premiums are shooting up far higher than ICE cars.
My brother owns a Model 3 Tesla he was paying around £450 fully comp, this year he can't get anything under £700 with some asking as much as £1500!! He's 44 and has 20+ years no claims. I read most quotes are 20% more than this time last year.

yup nothing wrong with leasing any car that is prone to falling apart/requires big repairs /maintenance after 4-5 years. You are handing it back before then. For me I want to be able to keep a car for 10-15 years if I choose without major issues so it's suzuki/mazda/toyota/honda or the koreans for me.

The 4 most reliable cars i have owned have all been Nissans. Sunny estate 108,400m, Primera 108,00 when i sold it, Nissan juke diesel and currant car 20 plate juke petrol, no of them ever broke down just normal services and wear and tear

It's not much different from other cars. My Volvo renewal was 60% higher than last year, even though I've still got max no claims and no endorsements
My mum has the same thing with her little Suzuki

Insurance is just way higher at the moment as explained here.
https://www.independent.co.uk/money/why-has-car-insurance-risen-so-much-b2391334.html
Personally I think they are just profiteering
My Ford Edge looks like it will cost a lot more this January but I've been hearing that the EVs are going up by a lot more. I believe they said

You should however in my experience always query your renewal, I'm with Hastings last year I paid £459 fully comp, this year they wanted £780!! I rang up to tell them I wasn't renewing and after a bit of back and forth they magically got my quote down to £520. So there is definitely some profiteering going on from the insurance companies, they just hope people don't query their renewals and bet a lot of people don't.

I don't even bother querying my renewal, I just go onto a price comparison site and get a new policy from there. I've found I can be on the phone for ages arguing with with existing insurer otherwise.

You should however in my experience always query your renewal, I'm with Hastings last year I paid £459 fully comp, this year they wanted £780!! I rang up to tell them I wasn't renewing and after a bit of back and forth they magically got my quote down to £520. So there is definitely some profiteering going on from the insurance companies, they just hope people don't query their renewals and bet a lot of people don't.
Spot on and Hastings Premium here also, I had a similar quite so rang and said I had got a lower quote on a comparison site, they asked for details and long story short I ended up playing £100 more which I don't mind paying as Premium has all the bells and whistles and all insurance has gone up.

The 4 most reliable cars i have owned have all been Nissans. Sunny estate 108,400m, Primera 108,00 when i sold it, Nissan juke diesel and currant car 20 plate juke petrol, no of them ever broke down just normal services and wear and tear
The last Nissan Micra was rubbish engineered for the subcontinent with quality control to match. Some shiny pieces stuck on to tempt the buyers but sold at a price higher than that... Brother in law had the gearbox replaced under warranty in less than one year. The latest one is screwed together more like the nissans of old. I caution him about the previous model micra based on my research. I bought a suzuki instead. My sisters Juke diesel was always breaking down, clogged dpf to be fair to nissan she was always doing short journeys in it. I warned her too. She had a honda jazz before that, bulletproof and boring was her opinion on it. My mazda cx-5 diesel had 75K+ on it when I sold it and it was 100% reliable I always drove it for at least 20+ mins 6+ miles. I did notice mpg gradually dropping down to around 45 mpg from a typical 60 mpg so got rid.

I work for an insurance company, and yes prices have been jacked up. I wouldn't call it profiteering though. Inflation has jacked up the price of cars and parts, and there's shortages meaning hire cars have to be used for longer. I would be hesitant taking the cheapest quote on a comparison website though, as not all insurance companies are the same. As long as you never have an accident. But if you need them...

Wish I'd seen this before. Brother in law just bought one that's a year old. Oh well, fingers crossed.

Back