Car tax & insurance.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I will be changing my car later this year and i intend to give my current car to my son he has booked lessons but there is a huge backlog for driving tests due to Covid so my question is can he tax and insure it and leave it parked on the street and use it to learn in or do you have to have a full driving licence to do this?

It's actually not too bad it's 1.2 petrol i
I'm told I'm a good, patient driving instructor. As long as you don't mind flying him out here and having him learn to drive on the wrong side of the road....

I have been giving him driving lessons believe me he is good at driving on the wrong side of the road ;)

As long as it’s taxed and insured it’s fine.
Would suggest putting it on your policy as it would be an eye watering quote for a learner.

It's actually not too bad it's only a 1.2 non turbo petrol it's isn't worth much and he is 24, he doesn't smoke and only drinks occasionally so he has plenty of spare cash.

It's actually not too bad it's only a 1.2 non turbo petrol it's isn't worth much and he is 24
It's quite steep for under 25 though my daughter has a Chevy Spark 1.0l which is £30 road tax group 1 insurance and her insurance at 20yrs old is £918 and that's with a years no claims earned on my policy though will be cheaper on the mainland as NI insurance is high and postcode dependant of which ours is the second highest.

I get what you are saying but he is getting the car for nothing and i don't want to risk my full no claims if he has a crash and lets face it with the way people drive nowadays its more a case of when than if.

What happens if a named driver has an accident?
If a named driver has an accident, the main driver or policyholder will need to make a claim on the policy and this will affect their no claims discount.
If a named driver on your policy has an accident the claim will be against your policy even if you are nowhere near the car or accident itself.

Last edited:
I get what you are saying but he is getting the car for nothing and i don't want to risk my full no claims if he has a crash and lets face it with the way people drive nowadays its more a case of when than if.

What happens if a named driver has an accident?
If a named driver has an accident, the main driver or policyholder will need to make a claim on the policy and this will affect their no claims discount.
If a named driver on your policy has an accident the claim will be against your policy even if you are nowhere near the car or accident itself.
Use no claims bonus protection that will not effect your premium and retains your bonus though he's being gifted the car so his own insurance will be negligible as he's saving on buying a car.

I insured an old banger for my daughters to learn to drive. They insured the cars on an hourly basis for lessons.
we used Veygo. an Admiral brand.
As the owner I got a message to confirm the insurance and if there ever was an accident my no claims wasn't affected.
once they passed the test they used the same company to insure our cars for short trips

Use no claims bonus protection that will not effect your premium and retains your bonus though he's being gifted the car so his own insurance will be negligible as he's saving on buying a car.
Incorrect. Ncb protection only protects the years you already have, rather than you losing some after a claim. Most insurers rate on both fault and non fault claims regardless of protection and, before you ask, yes, I do work in motor insurance.
Agree with getting him his own insurance though. Make it a separate entity. It's the only way your ncb is not affected

I will be changing my car later this year and i intend to give my current car to my son he has booked lessons but there is a huge backlog for driving tests due to Covid so my question is can he tax and insure it and leave it parked on the street and use it to learn in or do you have to have a full driving licence to do this?
To be parked on the street the car has to be taxed, insured and have a valid mot as required. The licence type of the policy holder makes no difference.

It's actually not too bad it's only a 1.2 non turbo petrol it's isn't worth much and he is 24, he doesn't smoke and only drinks occasionally so he has plenty of spare cash.

It is worth looking into him adding you, and/or your wife, as named drivers. This can reduce the premium. It did for my children. I think the insurance won't be too high initially, as while he is a learner, he can only drive with someone else. It will increase when he passes.

I insured an old banger for my daughters to learn to drive. They insured the cars on an hourly basis for lessons.
we used Veygo. an Admiral brand.
As the owner I got a message to confirm the insurance and if there ever was an accident my no claims wasn't affected.
once they passed the test they used the same company to insure our cars for short trips

Yes, we used Veygo to insure our daughter on our car when she was learning last year. They give a good rate for learners. In fact, the cost to get her insured on it shot up when she’d actually passed!

That only stops it dropping to 0%. Still comes down a few percent.

I thought insurance is cheaper when learning. It goes up when they pass the test and are unsupervised.

I would encourage any youngster to get their own policy so they can quickly get no claims for themselves. Unless you have a load of vehicles and can get trade insurance.

My son started to learn to drive in November 2021. We bought him a very cheap car to learn in but the insurance was £1700 !! It was the insurance where there is a box put into the car that records his driving. Policies without the box were over £2k !!!

That only stops it dropping to 0%. Still comes down a few percent.

I thought insurance is cheaper when learning. It goes up when they pass the test and are unsupervised.

I would encourage any youngster to get their own policy so they can quickly get no claims for themselves. Unless you have a load of vehicles and can get trade insurance.
I got rear ended February 2018 and never dropped at all as my policy renewal was actually £20 cheaper and regardless of them being a learner or restricted driver the their policy won't increase when passing the test and will come down with each year of no claims.
I use AXA NI who are a local company and the most competitive I've found ringing around and if looking for insurance stay away from comparison websites as each time you use them it affects your credit rating.

One of my daughters when she was learning bought her own car and got a separate learners insurance policy in her own name. That way if she was to have a crash it would only affect her policy.
it wasn’t competitive after she passedher testso she just cancelled it
Worth checking out

I got rear ended February 2018 and never dropped at all as my policy renewal was actually £20 cheaper and regardless of them being a learner or restricted driver the their policy won't increase when passing the test and will come down with each year of no claims.
I use AXA NI who are a local company and the most competitive I've found ringing around and if looking for insurance stay away from comparison websites as each time you use them it affects your credit rating.

Using comparison sites doesn't affect your credit rating at all. When you use any insurance company for a quote they will do a soft search which shows up only for you on your report. Only hard searches when you apply for loans, credit cards or finance show up to other lenders which then could possibly affect your credit score.

Using comparison sites doesn't affect your credit rating at all. When you use any insurance company for a quote they will do a soft search which shows up only for you on your report. Only hard searches when you apply for loans, credit cards or finance show up to other lenders which then could possibly affect your credit score.
My friend used these sites for years and thought nothing of it until he decided to buy a second home and apply for a mortgage until the bank raised the issue with him which led them to refuse his application until the issue was further resolved which took a few months as this was their point of concern from what he told me as I personally don't use them.

My friend used these sites for years and thought nothing of it until he decided to buy a second home and apply for a mortgage until the bank raised the issue with him which led them to refuse his application until the issue was further resolved which took a few months as this was their point of concern from what he told me as I personally don't use them.
That certainly wouldn't have been the issue with him bring refused. A soft search doesn't show up to any potential lender.

Latest posts

Back