Car trouble

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godsdog

Landlord.
Reaction score
Just got in the car a well maintained Peugeot 207CC drove 200 yards and heard a big bang from underneath it,when its driven now there us an audible rattling coming from the drivers side to the front bonnet area,under some lying on the floor inspecting I can't see anything untoward,also there's a slight singeing type of smell,other than that it drives well with no managent lights on and not overheating,any clever car diyourselfers have any clues to what may have happened/gone? Ta

I had a broken spring on the front..loud bang etc but it drove ok. The spring broke then wedged itself somehow so didn't look or act broken....it did burst my tyre so thought it was a blow out,it drove ok as the spacecsaver spare didn't catch the broken spring...all was revealed in the tyre shop...
I'd get it looked at.

Yeah it sounds like a busted spring or possibly a brake disc, you will probably find it a lot more harsh over rough ground as the shock absorber will not have the spring to counter it. It would probably be best to get both replaced, road handling will be unlikely to be the same so keep speed down, peugeots where notorious for part failures years ago where a nearside component would go followed within a few k miles by the offside or vice versa.

...removal of the spring revealed a busted shocker...had the whole front end replaced and a new tyre and tracking....

It sounds like a broken spring mine went going over a speed bump i also heard a big bang but could not see any damage, get it to a garage ASAP as it could rip the side wall out of your tyre.

peugeots where notorious for part failures years ago where a nearside component would go followed within a few k miles by the offside or vice versa.

I had a 306 which went with a bag and a distinct lack of forward ( and reverse, come to think of it ) motion... busted driveshaft! Guy at work had a diesel 206 which did the same trick a few months ago. I see a pattern emerging.

Got a trusted mobile mechanic coming for a look see tomorrow morning,rang kwikfit on the premise of a broken front spring for a price fitted,£165 inclusive of vat
I wonder if kwikfit do a bogof?

You can get new coil springs from £25 upwards (link below) and its an hours job at the most so i would not be paying kwikfit £165 to do the job you also do not need to do both sides (something which is often said) as i asked the mechanic that fit mine and he said its something rip off merchants tell customers.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_...g.TRS0&_nkw=pugeot+207cc+coil+spring&_sacat=0

Got a trusted mobile mechanic coming for a look see tomorrow morning,rang kwikfit on the premise of a broken front spring for a price fitted,£165 inclusive of vat
I wonder if kwikfit do a bogof?

It ought to be 'buy one get the other three free' for that price.

I saw something somewhere recently about Kwikfit. They were allegedly getting customers to pay for work they didn't need, or not doing work they were supposed to be doing.
I never use them, although perhaps OK for tyres if you get a good price off the internet (never just drop in), but anything mechanical, no chance.

I saw something somewhere recently about Kwikfit. They were allegedly getting customers to pay for work they didn't need, or not doing work they were supposed to be doing.

Wouldn't surprise me in the least. Before I even passed my car test, the missus took her little Fiesta to another, slightly less well-known fast-fit place for something I can't remember but quite minor. When I went with her to collect it they'd got the car in a million bits and presented her with a list of stuff that 'needed' doing together with a huge quote for said work. I told em to put it back together straight away and forget the original job - we got someone else to do it.

Many years ago one of my rear brakes stopped working and made a grinding noise when the pedal was pressed it was the middle of winter and pouring down so i had nowhere to do the job myself and i needed the car for work on the Monday so i gave a large garage that opens Sundays (you know the one) a ring and they said bring it in in the morning (Sunday) and leave it and they would get onto it when they could, i got a lift home and a few hours later the phone rang and i was informed the cylinders were also leaking and need renewing so a couple of brake shoes turned into shoes and cylinders and a big bill, i will never give the robbing bastards another penny.

That's the spirit!

What annoyed me was they had no reason to take the other wheel off they said they checked just in case (********) and the other one was indeed leaking, i checked the fluid levels weekly as i did a fair few miles commuting and i never saw the brake fluid level drop or saw any moisture around the drums when i looked after first hearing the grinding noise they had me by the ******** and they knew it. :mad:

What annoyed me was they had no reason to take the other wheel off they said they checked just in case (********) and the other one was indeed leaking, i checked the fluid levels weekly as i did a fair few miles commuting and i never saw the brake fluid level drop or saw any moisture around the drums when i looked after first hearing the grinding noise they had me by the ******** and they knew it. :mad:

I know it sounds sexist ( as you'd expect from me lol ) but how many women gladly pay for work which they didn't need but are conned into believing that they did? Not only being ripped off but being grateful for it too! About time 'someone' put a stop to it.

I know it sounds sexist ( as you'd expect from me lol ) but how many women gladly pay for work which they didn't need but are conned into believing that they did? Not only being ripped off but being grateful for it too! About time 'someone' put a stop to it.

I bet it happens all the time especially in places where they let you have a courtesy car so you are miles away and at work when they ring with the bad news.

When i have my MOT done i always go to a place that has a viewing area so if they find anything they have to show you, strange my car rarely fails an MOT.

I got a puncture on a Sunday a week after I replaced a different tyre for the MOT and after changing the punctured one quickfit gave me a report saying the tyre a week old was 40% worn. No idea where this came from as its not like I would replace it or anything.

Got the confirmation this morning of it being the front offside road spring,was quoted £165 by kwikfit but my local friendly neighbourhood mobile mechanic is doing it for a tad less than half price tomorrow morning with a genuine Peugeot part,result is an understatement and well chuffed am i

Get yourself a tyre depth gauge checker. £4 on ebay for a VOSA approved model so they can't fob you off with 'ours is approved and therefore you're wrong' type excuses. A good local garage is like a good plumber, electrician and builder: you should get to know one!

Latest posts

Back