Carbing a stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimbo1982

Reaction score
looking for information on how many carbonation drops per 500ml for a coopers irish stout. Some say 1, others say 2 and I have even seen 1.5 mentioned. I'm looking for similar carb level to black sheep milk stout.

When I made my stout (St Peter's Cream Stout), I used 124g of sugar and I think even that was too much. Personally, I don't think stouts and bubbles are a good combination. Stouts are not meant to be heavily carbonated. I would definitely go with one drop per 500ml bottle - that should be right for the style of beer. If you're really unsure, do ten or so with two drops and mark them with a piece of tape for identification - good for future reference! Let us know how it turns out.

Thanks guys. I was leaning towards 1 per bottle so thanks for confirming. I think I will try a couple with 2 though, just to see what the outcome is.

I've got a St. Peter's cream stout that's ready for the bottle in the next few days. I agree with @GhostShip that stouts aren't meant to be fizzy. I was planning on putting just under half a teaspoon of granulated sugar into each bottle as I haven't got carbonation drops.
I put a rounded half teaspoon of granulated sugar into my Wherry a couple of months ago and that has turned out just right but I wouldn't want the stout to be as carbonated.
Not sure how much granulated sugar would be equivalent to 1 carbonation drop.

I've got a St. Peter's cream stout that's ready for the bottle in the next few days. I agree with @GhostShip that stouts aren't meant to be fizzy. I was planning on putting just under half a teaspoon of granulated sugar into each bottle as I haven't got carbonation drops.
I put a rounded half teaspoon of granulated sugar into my Wherry a couple of months ago and that has turned out just right but I wouldn't want the stout to be as carbonated.
Not sure how much granulated sugar would be equivalent to 1 carbonation drop.

Might be a while letting you know. Seems I have a stuck fermentation. Tried warming the fermenter, pitched some new yeast and gentle stirring but stuck at 1.020 for the last 3 days. Og was 1.045.

Might be a while letting you know. Seems I have a stuck fermentation. Tried warming the fermenter, pitched some new yeast and gentle stirring but stuck at 1.020 for the last 3 days. Og was 1.045.

Hope you manage to get it going again.
My OG on the stout was 1.046 and I took a reading yesterday which would be 10 days and its 1.020 so I'll be keeping an eye on mine aswell. I'll take a reading tomorrow and see if its come down anymore.

How are you getting on with your stout? Have you managed to get it going again?
Mine dropped to 1.018 then stayed there for the last 3 days. So I raised the temperature to between 23 and 24 yesterday morning and have just given it a gentle stir this morning. Fingers crossed 🤞🤞

How are you getting on with your stout? Have you managed to get it going again?
Mine dropped to 1.018 then stayed there for the last 3 days. So I raised the temperature to between 23 and 24 yesterday morning and have just given it a gentle stir this morning. Fingers crossed 🤞🤞

Totally stuck mate. Tried everything. Decided to just bottle it and see what happens. Its currently in pet bottles in bin bags in boxes just in case. I know if it it doesn't explode it will be horrendously sweet but at this point I am past caring 🤣🤣

Sorry to hear that, hopefully it'll come right during carbonating and conditioning.
I'll take a reading on Friday and see if its dropped. If not then I'll be bottling mine then aswell athumb..
It's on 14 days today anyway.

Totally stuck mate. Tried everything. Decided to just bottle it and see what happens. Its currently in pet bottles in bin bags in boxes just in case. I know if it it doesn't explode it will be horrendously sweet but at this point I am past caring 🤣🤣
Did you still prime with carbonating drops or have you not bothered with priming?

Well mine was stuck at 1.018, so I added 65g of sugar diluted in boiled water (once cooled) and more yeast. I checked it 2 days later and it had dropped to 1.016. I left it another 2 days and checked it again, 1.016 again so I decided to bottle it yesterday. I added just under half a teaspoon of granulated sugar so fingers crossed it turns out ok.
I've just checked on the bottles (PET) this morning and they're firming up already.

Back