Carbing bottles on their side.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

marshbrewer

Out on the marshes, wailing at the moon.
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just put 37 bottles in the beer fridge to carb up at 20 degrees for a week or so. In order to get them in, 8 had to go on their side. Now, they will all be stored for conditioning upright, so the yeast will settle to the bottom, won't it? Hope so, or their is a major design flaw in my brew fridge. :laugh8:

I’d say you’d really be better not doing it. At least some of the yeast will risk sticking to the sides, and that’s a risk on nucleation sites for CO2 when you crack them open and you’ll have a gusher.

If it sounds like I’ve got a detailed experience of this, draw your own conclusions!

If you’re around and able to keep switching them round a couple of times a day that would mitigate the risk.

Ok, I don't want to risk it so I've sneaked the 7 I couldn't squeeze in the right way up into the kitchen; hoping to get away with that one with my better half!

I haven't bottled a brew for ages and couldn't believe how long it took me. I'd forgotten what a faff it all is. All hail the king keg! :bow:

****, ive got about 100 bottles carbing on their sides at the minute. Never even gave it a thought. My plan is to give them a swirl/shake before moving out to the shed for upright storage.

****, ive got about 100 bottles carbing on their sides at the minute. Never even gave it a thought. My plan is to give them a swirl/shake before moving out to the shed for upright storage.

Yea will work no problem :).
Just give em a few a days to rest after you put them up right.

That's the plan. I've drank a few just put in the fridge for a day. Still a bit cloudy and yeasty as expected but good. I never realised there's a potential issue with nucleation as Ajhutch mentioned.

That's the plan. I've drank a few just put in the fridge for a day. Still a bit cloudy and yeasty as expected but good. I never realised there's a potential issue with nucleation as Ajhutch mentioned.

Never had this issue. Not even when I visited a friend and they put the beer on the side.
I just have a large smear of yeast on the side of the bottle. But if you carefully pour you usually not even pour yeast in the bottle.

I’m sure du point saison condition there bottles on there sides.
Good enough for them..

To be fair, I’m a terrible racker so I get a fair amount of sediment in my bottles. That combined with a very flocculant yeast will leave some on the lowest surface when you carbonate. Something like US05 which is quite dusty anyway would probably be fine and float down once turned upright.

Back