Carbing Bottles, with Nitrogen?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gulpitdarn

Regular.
Reaction score
Just want your thoughts on how I can best carb my bottles of Stout with Nitrogen or Nitros Oxide.
Of course the use of Nitrogen gives the beers a head of many very tiny bubbles that seem to last longer than the usual Co2 carbonation, just look at Guniness!

I currently have an intense Chocolate stout on the go, it has a week and a half yet before it is ready for clearing. I have considered then, after clearing, filling a (Cheap Plastic) barrel three quarters full and injecting one or two of those Cream N20 Nitros Oxide sparklet bulbs into the brew. Now... I wonder if after a week or so, I can transfer into bottles and 'Hope' that N2O is still in the brew... Would I need to prime each bottle with say, half a tea spoon of table sugar or not to further carb up with Co2? What would you do here?? Suggestions please.

I'm no expert on pressure barrels but I don't think you can get a high enough pressure to force carbonate (or nitrogenate), they have a built in PRV which will activate if you inject the gas into a full barrel. Without a corny keg I'm not sure you could do it, and even then I'd imagine you'd need a lot of those little N2O bulbs, they're really just for serving pressure.

All my stouts had creamy heads when dispensed from my basic PBs, even though I used to limit the quantity of priming suagr to 95g for a full charge of beer. However when the PB top pressure started to fall away so did the creamy head. So my suggestion to you is to keep your stout in the PB and keep the top pressure up and you should be OK. I can't see any gain in transferring into bottles with or without N2O (most of which is likely to be lost in the process) however you could always try it to see if it worked.

Back