Carbonating corny keg at room temperature but serving chilled.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Simonh82

Landlord.
Reaction score
I'm brewing some beers for a party later this year. I will be kegging them in cornys but I can't keep them all in a fridge until the day so will probably be carbonating it at room temperature. I'm planning on serving the kegs from party taps with the kegs sat in builders trugs with ice to chill it down.

I know I need to have the beer under extra pressure to carbonate at room temperature. Is there any issue with then chilling the kegs for serving? Presumably this is similar to having a bottle of beer that has carbonated at room temperature, then chilling it to serve. If it gets really cold for a long period it might lose some fizz but chilling it for a few hours won't effect it massively.

Also, I will be using a single 6.5KG CO2 tank to serve the beer with. I don't have a multi line gas manifold so will it be fine to use a few John Guest Y-spliters to go from the tank to the 4 kegs?

It'll all be fine. Use a carbonation chart for the level you want at room temperature. And using Y splitters or Ts will be fine.

Thanks. I thought it would probably be fine but as there will be about 100 people serving themselves from the kegs I didn't want any surprises.

Why don’t you add priming sugar to the keg and secondary ferment instead of carbing at room temp?

Why don’t you add priming sugar to the keg and secondary ferment instead of carbing at room temp?
If I was doing that for myself I'd be fine with it, but for randoms at a party who might be able to kick the kegs over, nahhh.

If I was doing that for myself I'd be fine with it, but for randoms at a party who might be able to kick the kegs over, nahhh.
Exactly. The kegs will be moved on the morning of the party so any sediment will be shaken up. I'm going to try my best to put clear beer into the kegs so they aren't too murky. Primimg and keg conditioning will only add to the murk.

Latest posts

Back