Carbonating kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnturn

Reaction score
Just had my Conry gassing up for the last few days and its the first time I ve force carbonated one so I have a few questions.
At the moment after 5 days sitting at 1 PSI per C the beer seems to be over carbonated ie its like a soda stream drink with not enough syrup in it. Does this sound like over carbonation or do you think It will improve over the next couple of days.
If the beer is over carbonated any idea how I uncarbonate it.

Thanks John.

The keg is kept at 15 C so I keep the pressure at 15PSI, apparently this is a good starting point for force carbonation the beer, not too little and not to much.

So to get rid of the excess just let the pressure out of the keg and then recheck it in a few days.

blimey what happened there!?

i have all my kegs at 1 psi per degree c and never poured foam... unless i pour it too fast!

what's the length of line from your keg to your tap?

You'll have to vent it a few times as the only pressure you'll relieve will be in the headspace...which is quite small on a full keg. The liquid will still hold much of it's gas. If you wait a couple of hours between vents the headspace will repressurise with CO2 from the liquid.

Thanks. I am not poring foam. The pour is quite slow and looks good, top it off with a bit of head its just taste like a a voda and coke tastes like when the syrup is running low. Harsh carbonation that covers the flavour of the beer.

I do pretty much as s-f suggests. I've found that anything over 3 psi for ale is just not cricket. 3 psi wont even let you use a beer engine properly, so you know there's something wrong there

oh yeah, using my pressure reccomendations through a beer engine definitely wont work, i've been recommending the 1/1 pressure for first week of the conditioning phase, but not the pouring/serving phase. i drop my pressures down to 10psi for serving through my enodis taps personally

i'll add that next time i recommend it cos i still stand by that method for the first week of the conditioning phase

oh yeah, using my pressure reccomendations through a beer engine definitely wont work

Sorry BS, I think I worded my reply badly. I did not mean that your recommendations were wrong, just that I think that the PSI commonly regarded as 'normal' for real ale is completely OTT.
If you can't serve it through a beer engine, then you know it's over carbed for real ale..I hope that makes sense :hmm:

if it were real ale you're after though, surely you wouldn't want to force carbonate it at all!?

if it were real ale you're after though, surely you wouldn't want to force carbonate it at all!?

You have to use some C02 to drive the beer out of the corny when using enodis taps, and besides I don't agree with Camra regards the non use of bottled gas. They're making publicans lives very hard, unless the pub has a high turnover of ale. In fact I'd say they are actually stunting the growth of real ale in pubs.

I can't even read the pressure on my gauges when serving through my enodis taps, but it's not at it's minimum, as I don't want to stand there all day waiting for the pint to pour :D

serving pressure yes... i'm on about force carbonation... a real ale isn't carbonated right?

Yes, is is. Have you ever tasted truely flat beer?

It gets it's carbonation from the CO2 put into the beer while fermenting and also the alledged slow fermentation in the cask.

i think everyone's missing the point i'm trying to make... either that or i'm not saying it right ... or you're winding me up :lol:

you DONT FORCE carbonate if you want a real ale... especially if it's going to be on hand pull

Ok gents back for more ha ha. The beer I am getting tastes fizzy but has a harsh taste just as you swallow. When I pour the beer slighly sparkling but not foamy ie you have to remember to put a head on it so doesnt appear to be over carbonated. Interested in your opinions. Thanks.

Its like drinking soda steam juice but you cant taste the juice/beer for this horrible carbonation taste just as you swallow the beer. It really is hard to explain. I though it was due to the beer only partially carbonating. I am stuck as to let it carb some more or back the pressure off. The beer has been carbing for about 4-5 days.

When pouring the beer isnt foamy the keg isnt shooting the beer out, infact in every otherway pour and serve is top notch. with the head lasting to the bottom of the glass.

Back