Carbonating

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Redron

Regular.
Reaction score
Ok, so, generally, the rule of thumb is two weeks in the FV, two weeks carbonating, then two weeks to condition, or more if you are patient....
So, 2+2+2
I mix this up a bit depending on my brew and general temp conditions. I quite often rack after a couple of weeks and leave for another week before kegging. This can also assist with a ‘stuck’ brew, or one which you feel is not quite reaching it’s expected FG . Sometimes, just the act of transferring to another fv can reactivate fermentation, of course, without whizzing it up and introducing any more oxygen.
So my question is, often after I keg with the added 80g of dextrose, my brews very often carbonate very quickly , ie, after a couple of days or so. I should point out that they always get kegged after the fg has been stable for a couple of days and I am sure fermentation has finished. So can I move to a cooler place after a couple of days to condition or should I leave the ‘warm’ place for a while longer and what would be the advantage.... ?

Tbh I doubt very much whether most homebrewers could tell the difference between something that's been crash cooled for weeks and something that hasn't unless they compared side to side.
However no doubt someone will come up with an obscure article to prove I'm wrong.
Anyway I tend to do what you do perhaps leave it a little longer to carb up, and when its done that, put it in my garage to mature. If the weather is really warm I might put it in my beer fridge for a week or more, but then it goes out with the rest of the beer in my store.

Latest posts

Back