Carbonation advice!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spudhead94

Reaction score
Evening all, with regards to carbing up my beer... I've read that you should use a cup of water to dissolve the sugar for a 23L batch, i've got two 8L batches and they'll be bottled up soon. With that in mind should i scale the water down or keep it at a cup per batch? I need to use 40g of sugar per batch :)

The smallest possible amount to dissolve the sugar, dextrose etc whatever you are using.

If you've got some digital scales, and seeing as you've only got a few bottles to prime, I'd just weigh out and add the sugar direct to each bottle.

Evening all, with regards to carbing up my beer... I've read that you should use a cup of water to dissolve the sugar for a 23L batch, i've got two 8L batches and they'll be bottled up soon. With that in mind should i scale the water down or keep it at a cup per batch? I need to use 40g of sugar per batch :)
Answering your question directly: yes, scale it down.
I've been using about a 1/2 liter for my US 5 gallon batches. I'm not sure how that number was settled on. Pulling some of the beer and dissolving the sugar in that instead of water also is effective.

Hi!
If you use water, it should be boiled first (obviously), so dissolving sugar in boiling water will be easier. Use as little water as possible, put the sugar solution into your bottling bucket and rack the beer on top of it - this makes sure that the sugar solution gets mixed into all of the batch of beer.
Sorry if I'm stating the obvious.

Agree with Bigcol,

I use to boil less than 200cl of water for any batch upper than 10L, to cool it down I sometime add a bit of the wort. (Ok you will kill a very small amount of yeast) :)

An advice don’t stir your wort too energetically otherwise you could oxidise your beer.

Back